New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '99 V6 2.5L, and I absolutely cannot figure this one out.

Lately I've been getting kind of a burning-exhaust smell from my engine. I even smell it in the cabin, particularly when I accelerate out of idle. I recently replaced both my 02 sensors, and I'm getting that "moosing" problem commonly talked about here, so my IACV will probably be next. Anyone have any idea what this could be coming from? I just had my 60,000-mile tune-up, so I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Did you just have an oil change? Sometimes when you/the service guy is sloppy it goes all over and ends up burning off. If that's the case give it a week or so, depending on how much you drive. i had a similar situation with coolant in my other vehicle, but after a week-and-a-half the odor and smoke was gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had an oil change a couple thousand miles ago, but they might have put too much oil in. I'll have to check the level when the car is cold.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Also check that the oil filter is on tight. If it's a little too loose, it can drip oil onto the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use regular unleaded gas, so I don't think that's the problem. I'll check the oil filter, though.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I know how you feel.

Back in 1999 I had a Chevy Corsica and I had this strange fish/sewage smell coming from my car one day. Just started out of nowhere. Turns out that when I got married a few days earlier, my best man had put sardines in my exhaust manifold... :flushed:

That's probably not much help, but you never know.

·
8,545 Posts
Sardines in your exhaust manifold...?

Is this some kind of crazy tradition that was never covered in my German classes? ;)

I'm not sure I'd want a best man like that...

--RJ

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
CAF.............! maybe...my car is pretty damb rotton sometime toos but this waytoo much of a PITA to change in the winter with a busted garage door..

that was Cabin Air Filter who knows maybe it is that simple..heavy acceleration causing air to rush into cabin?? not sure but worth a shot maybe?? they are only 10 bucks..hope you sort this out..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts