New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my E-Manage yesterday and I'm having some serious problems. First off, the e-manage is displaying some kind of error code or something, the active light is flashing from green to amber to red over and over again. My CEL came on and originally the engine was honking, going from about 400 to 1200 rpms over and over again but it seems the ECU has calibrated itself and it's stopped doing it but the rpm's have been dropping really slow. The car runs fine aside from the idle occasionally but I can also smell that it's running pretty rich and if I shut the car off it takes a few attempts to get it started again.

What might the problem be?

It could be a bad ground or connection but the MAF signal wire connection has to be ok or I can't imagine the car idling at all, it has power so it can't be the power line, it could be the ground I guess but all my connections seem fine and the only other wires that could be a problem are the RPM signal wire and the TPS signal wire. I checked and double checked to make sure that each wire was hooked up to the appropriate wire on the PCM. The internal jumpers are set correctly and the SW switches are correct as well.

I soldered all of my connections. The only thing I didn't do was use the supplied connectors for any of the connections. For the wires I didn't have to cut I stripped a portion of the insulation back and wrapped the appropriate wire around the existing and then soldered them together. For the MAF signal wire I used 18-22mm butt connectors to make the connections and then soldered the ends. That could be the problem but I can't imagine that being it since the car runs and does idle ok.

Any ideas? Please help if you can.

Adrian

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Can you reference what the problem is? It should be mentioned in the book somewhere -- maybe if we had a better idea as to what the unit was telling you....

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The book is very very vague. I've been trying to figure that out myself. From the manual I'm guessing the only error codes that would apply to a cougar would be either an incorrect airflow signal input or output. I'm going to try making those connections to see if that helps.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I changed the connectors to the ones that came with the e-manage and I'm sstill having the same problems only now the car is running extremely lean and won't hold an idle and barely starts. I'm not sure what to do here. Could there be something wrong with the unit itself?

·
Registered
209 Posts
check your e-mail..

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no luck... i re-soldered the wires, check the grounds, used the GReddy connections and still having the same problems. not sure what to do here. i'd appreciate any help. thanks

Adrian

·
Registered
209 Posts
let me know
your pin numbers, so can figure out..
and did you cut rpm wire?
u have to cut one wire(RPM), and the others are attatched.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts