New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is already one posted, but can somebody please give me something a little better than "start with rough sand paper and work your way down to like 1000 grit"?? Unless it is that easy. Can I use a dremel? If so what bits should I get. PLEASE BE SPECIFIC

Thanks a ton guys,

Mark

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
lol dont use a dremel dude.. lol. im not sure about how do any polishing on anything car related but i know for sure you shouldn't be using a dremel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah. In relation to the country you're near me :) The original howto should be in the how-to section. All it says is start with a rough grit sand paper and work your way down to like 1000 grit...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
k. To give everybody an update. I am half way through this project and when I finish I will post a how-to so everybody can beautify their 99 alloy rims. I used paint stripper so far to strip the paint off and I am considering using a stripper bit for my dremel. The course circular "rust remover/ stripper" one.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm interested! Let us know. I have polished rims with some scratches and tiny places with what I would call "rot" I'm going to attempt to get a polishing wheel and make them look brand new again. I will fill you all in on that when I do it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to let you know, I do a lot of stainless steel, aluminum and magnesium polishing at work and they make different grits of wheels (3") and an arbor that fit into a cutoff grinder and go all the way to 1000 grit, after that we use polishing compound and get a mirror smooth finish. I am going to polish out my original wheels and a set I got from a T-bird and paint the recessed part neon blue and leave the rest polished then shoot the entire wheel except the bead with iridescent followed by a clearcoat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.