New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my shop guy said that just plain molding the FIBERGLASS skirts to the METAL would not hold enough...i searched and found that on street concepts a guy used (3) 3M Automix 8115 Panel Bonding Adhesive. any thing else i need other than the list from where i got this

1 Gallon US Chemicals Duraglass Autobody Filler
1 Gallon US Chemicals Blue Ice Autobody Filler
1 Pint US Chemicals Icing Finish Putty
1 Gallon US Chemicals Fiberglass Resin
Chopped Fiberglass Mat
(3) 3M Automix 8115 Panel Bonding Adhesive
1 Pint Napa Paint Stripper
Assortment of sandpaper discs and sheets.
Stainless Steel 1" Countersink Screws
1 Gallon Denatured Alcohol
1 Gallon Acetone
1 Case Shop Towels
Assorted body filler spreaders

any help would be nice to install these. I read somewhere that some one cut the part that bows from the back infront of the wheel well and was wondering if this is the easiest way

PLEASE I BEG ANYTHING WILL HELP ME I WANT THIS TO LOOK GREAT

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Your guy is wrong. You can mold fiberglass to metal. I had my Fiberglass spoiler molded to my Decklid.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
basically all you need to do is use some panel adhesive and rivet the skirts to the sides then fill it all in nice with bondo.. any reputible shop can certainly do this..

take the car somewhere else if he's being an idiot..

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I agree with crispy. If he's asking you questions on mounting it then i would get a different body person.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm not to worried about the fact he was asking me that it is just that he really wants it to be in relly tip top shape since i want to show it locally and wants me to get his name out there since i'll be the only coug w/one around for a bout 50 miles or so...and he said that he had a problem with the fiberglass not wanting to stay on some of the semis when he molded stuff to metal....but that was after a few years he said and thats a semi so we're probably talkin 200,000+miles

thanks guys

but what was you're guys experience with this kit would it be easiest to have him cut/break the warpped piece and then mold them sepratly or what can the bowwing of the skirt even be fixed without it bieng cut in your opinion

thanks again
dusty

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
eeeek... your taking it to a dude that works on semis? my best advice is hit a show and look at the cars in your area, thats the best calling card you can find.. ask some of the people there where they got their work done and who they would honestly recommend..

I have every intention of taking my car to the same shop that built the "EVIL Z" next year... That car is ranked the number 1 car in the nation and their molding/fiberglass work is flawless... it's 3 hours away but in my opinion its well worth it for the work they do.

·
Registered
815 Posts
You can very easily bond fiberglass to metal, to the point where it will be impossible to remove the sideskirts without shattering them. There should be no reason that they wouldent hold unless improper prepping of the area, or the incorect fusor (sp?) was used. For example this Car has a fiberglass widebody kit. The sides and fenders are fiberglass molded to metal with few or no screws.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Originally posted by: Crispy
eeeek... your taking it to a dude that works on semis? my best advice is hit a show and look at the cars in your area, thats the best calling card you can find.. ask some of the people there where they got their work done and who they would honestly recommend..

I have every intention of taking my car to the same shop that built the "EVIL Z" next year... That car is ranked the number 1 car in the nation and their molding/fiberglass work is flawless... it's 3 hours away but in my opinion its well worth it for the work they do.
She's 100% correct. You always should see past work of a shop before you go there. If they did a shoty job on a past car then chances are yours will be that way too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts