New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, one of the things I'm doing while I'm in the US the next month (thank god - HOME) is making a custom dash cowl w/ gauge pods. I was wondering, for those of you with the turbo inclination, what are the best gauges to get for evaluating turbo and vehicle performance?

I've got an A/F Ratio, Vac/Boost and Oil Pressure already.

What about maybe EGT and Fuel pressure? Anything else? And would those two help me out?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The A/F Meter I already have is an AutoMeter, and I did get the wideband O2 add-on sensor for it. What benefit would I get out of a self-tunable A/F device? I've got the compelte SCT software/hardware package on the way for tuning the car. Do they offer real-time data display and logging or something? That'd be really beneficial.

·
Registered
832 Posts
You're getting the SCT, so don't bother with the AFC or Emanage. A regular AF guage is almost worthless since it's just using the stock O2 sensor, but since you got it, go ahead and use it, but mount it as your least important guage. AN EGT GUAGE IS A MUST. That and a boost guage are your single most important guages you can get. 1500F is the max safe EGT on stock internals. Idealy you want to be lower than that by the redline. Fuel pressure is a good idea, it's on my lenghty to-do list. Oil temp and water temp would also be good ideas, but that's starting to get into over kill almost.

Basically, EGT and boost are must haves. Everything else is a good idea.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seawulf, I have a pro-grade AutoMeter Wideband O2 sensor setup just for my A/F gauge so it's not useless. It's plugged into the stock right now simply because I don't want to take the time to put it into the stock exhaust and move it to the 3" a month later.

I'm making a cusotm add-on to the stock cowl that will house the gauges and the AutoMeter ShiftLite from the tach. The tach itself will get moved into the back left corner of the dash.

Kind of like this, though, on the cowl.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hooking it up to a wideband's a whole different story. Though I'd feel more comfortable with a AF guage that showed digital volts. Like I said, EGT and Boost are critical guages, everything else is good to have but you can live without it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts