New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope I’m not posting something that has been done recently. If so I apologize, I did a search and everything was old.

Well I am going to get new wheels in a month or so. There brand new, I will be getting one of the first made. I am weary about telling people about them as I'm afraid others will buy them but I have a few pics attached. The ones I am getting are like a gun metal with the polished accent, should look great on my red cougar.

Now of course I need some tires for these wheels. I am on a tight budget but I want quality. The place I am purchasing the wheels from suggested Nitto tires. Tire Rack has excellent reviews on the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 (Max Summer) and the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S (Ultra High All Season). I love the tread on the Pirelli's and they are much cheaper (about $200 less for all 4). I am in California so I dont rilly need all season. Most of the reviews on the Pirelli's were with people who used them for snow and stuff which makes me wonder if I am getting the right tires. Are there any draw backs from all season tires? The Good year's had better raitings but are not that much better, dosent look as good, and are much more $$. Does anyone here have any suggestions or comments?

The wheels are 18", the tire size my shop suggested is 225/40 18 does that make sense over 35's. Also while this has probably been said many times, but please reassure me that these wont rub. I am going to have ebach springs and KYB struts.

P.S. no one else buy those wheels unles you want to face my wrath :mad:

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
All-seasons typically give up some dry grip to handle snow, but they can still be very good tires. If you are serious about performance, I'd get a set of summer tires. I've heard good reviews of those Goodyears. If you like the Pirellis, they make a summer PZero Nero without the M+S rating.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I personally wouldn't go with either tire.

I'm not sure what kind of prices you're getting on the Pirellis - but I know that where I work they are pretty damn expensive, around $225-$250 per tire. In my experience they aren't really that wonderful. Personally I like the looks and quality of Continental (OEM tire for BMW, you know they've got to be good) Yokohama, and Nitto occasionally. A lot of the cars that I have worked on that had Nittos seemed to wear oddly...maybe it was a coincidence that all were out of alignment, who knows. The best bang for your buck is probably the Kuhmo 712...that's what I use for my winter/beater tires - they cost next to nothing and they're pretty good for what they are.

PS - not to burst your bubble about the rims - but I know a slew of people already that have them, including at least 2-3 cougars. Thinking that you are going to be the only one with a set of new Konig's is naive...Konig is a very popular, well-sought brand...I know when they released their Holes last year that I saw them on show cars EVERYWHERE. I have no doubt that the Trouble's will be the same...everyone loves a good looking set of rims. So don't be surprised when everyone else has 'your' set of rims :wiggle:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Max Summer version of the Pirelli's were not as highly rated in any of the catagories and are more expensive (about as much as the Good Years). Here is a link to the Pirelli PZero Max Summer tires The Pirelli's cost about $130 a tire from my place, not sure where you are getting those numbers, perhaps a different tire.

As for the wheels, they havent been made yet so how could people have them? Unless I am wrong, the first production of those arent going to be avalable till end of Feburary.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Try and get opinions from people that actually have those tires, instead of just reading product reviews. It'll offer a lot more insight.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I have heard good things about the Pirelli's, many people I know have them. Browsing around I found those Good Years which seem to beet the Pirelli's in every catagory. I am leaning towards the Pirelli's but I just want to make sure they are the right tire for me since I live in California.

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
You have take TireRack's ratings with a grain of salt.

Quick example:

I have a set of Kumho Ecsta V700 for autocross and a set of Continental ContiExtreme Contact for street and winter use. The Kumhos are rated as 8.9 for dry grip, 8.5 for steering response and 8.6 for cornering stability. The ContiExtremes are rated 8.7, 8.2 and 8.2 in the same categories. Based on the ratings, it would be reasonable to assume that the tires have similar dry performance, but I will tell you they are not even close. The Kumhos have so much more grip and better response, it is not even funny. The problem is that the people rating the tires usually only have limited experience with different tires and they can't be expected to give a truely accurate rating.

·
Administrator
11,557 Posts
I had a set of Bridgestone Potenzza RE910. They were all-seasons and frankly were an incredible tire for the price ($115ea 2yrs ago). I got all-seasons because up here in the NE the weather can change in a hearbeat (it's snowed in late May).

They gripped pretty good, tho I never tested them to the point of squeeling in turns as my suspension was stock at the time and I didn't want to risk folding a tire. The wet weather handling was beyond what I expected. They handled it as road may as well not have been wet, they plowed through puddles on the highway (hydroplaining was so much as a subtle tug on the wheel) & they stopped nice in the rain. Anything more than 2" of snow and they were a pain to drive with. But at that point I'd put on my stocks for the winter. Dry weather the tires handled great...no spinning them from a standstill, but then again I'm an ATX... :(

The best part of them were was the strength of the sidewalls. They must be made of Kevlar because they took a pounding on some potholes & curbs during evasive manuvering :). I've blown a stock tire on less. My next set will probably be a set of Bridgestones, but this time straight up summer tires.

Oh, and the treadlife wasn't too bad on them. I think I got about 35,000 off them before they were getting low. I eventually took them off alltogether because of an alignment issue caused the inner side belt to show.

·
Registered
204 Posts
yokohama parada spec-2(z-rated). these tires were unbelievable. they felt like glue going around turns. they were my first set of 17" tires a couple years ago. bad side: needed new tires in 10 months, i made it 12 though. however, when these tirese were bald they hanbled better in the rain(aside from hydroplaning) than my goodyear eagle HPs. HPs were on the stock wheels and the tires are still new, i got wheels 2mts after i got the tires.
yokohama avs(i believe h rated, not sure about that)- i purchased these tires because i wanted my tires to last longer than a year. good tires, but i would not go with them if you are looking for that "glue" feeling. ill be getting some new tires this summer for cougarfest and hopefully some auto-cross runs around here. probably the paradas again.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I have been selling the crap out of Cooper Zeons, they are cheap and so far I have had 100% positive reviews.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts