New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinkin between 20% and 35%, im not sure if 35% will look to light on a black car or if 20% will look too dark. does anyone have some opinions or pics?

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
It depends. Do you want it legal? Check with your local municipality on the legal limits, then make it as dark as you can. If you don't give a damn about Johnny Donut pulling you over 3 days a week for your tint, take it as dark as you can.

I've always felt black tint on a black car is the sickest looking kind of car around.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well technically no tint at all is legal, because the legal limit is 75% and most stock glass comes with that, but in the by-laws the exception is that all vans, truck, suv's may have tint from the driver back for some reason they leave out cars which i feel is bogus. The law used to say as long as you have the tint light enough to read a newspaper from the outside then its legal but it was changed to be that if you were able to see out of the side view mirrors as well as the newspaper test, but now they want to ban it all together unless u buy the vehicle like that from the dealor, so its all pretty much yoru call and most tint shops will replace it for free around here as long as you bring in your citation or a copy of it, but i think i will go with 20% it will look dark enough i guess since i have black rims and black tail covers lol

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I have 40% on all my windows (except windshield) in Jersey, where it is illegal to have tints on the fronts. But I haven't been bothered yet. Of course I won't pass inspection in the summer, unless I go somewhere private. 40% is almost exactly the same as 35%, and on a black car I imagine it would look a bit darker (mine is silver).

Mike

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
i had 15% on my last cougar, 20% on this one... i should have gone for 15% again, but i REALLY want 5%... 3% would be even better.... hell, i'm just going to paint my windows black. :beer:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Why do NECOers use different light transparency window tint on the front compared to the back? I have wondered that since 'Fest a couple years back, but never asked anyone. I didn't think that it looked very good. It looked like the back was a nice black and the front was a misty gray looking color. Looked to me like a veritcal 2 tone paint job. The only reason I could come up with as to why 35% would be used in the front and 5% in the rear is so that there is a little more privacy in the back seat, if you know what I mean. After sitting in the back and noting the headroom and distance from armrest to armrest, my reasoning was disproven.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
umm in my state thats the legal limit ... 35% on the sides anything you want on the back windows...

·
Registered
942 Posts
My state the legal limit is 35% all around...:( Although I will be getting darker then that cause I know all the local cops and they would never pull me over for anything I did to my car.:wiggle:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Oh. I didn't know that it was legal to put any transparency rating that you wanted on anything other than SUVs and trucks. I guess that makes sense. And they are still law compliant. Here in TN, we can only have 35% all the way around, but I'd say the majority of the tuners go with the 15-20% range all around.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Originally posted by: icetrey
I've got a black car and I'm gettin 15% on it and I know none of the cops in my town will pull me over cuz one of our cop cars has 15% on it.
That's probably not the safest path of thinking, especially since double standards most certainly do exist.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Ya tell the cop next time you get caught speeding and making illegal Uturns .... But but but I saw you do it ! Im sure that will get your realy far :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.