New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay will be pulling appart my lights soon and i want to paint them my car is a 99 and i guess that would mean it is the silver frost colour since it is silver..from all you guys and gals who have painted your lights, which is the best and closest match?? i am assuming that it has to be a heat paint but i have seen like four differnt types...i am not willing to buy four cans of paint just get the right one...heres hoping someone else has though..i PM'd crispy and have yet to hear back...but if anyone else knows that would be great..:poke: i wont be opening them for another week or so but i want to have everything ready so i dont have to drive my car around without lights...the angel eyes are done and look great and the clear lens for the corners are done too and i have the strobes ready to go as well..just need paint..i guess i need a clear coat and primer to match it as well..:biggrin:

you guys think this is too much to do to a set of lights??i guess i will know for sure after it is all done and back together..hehe

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ground coat...will that be the name on the can??and will i need a primer and clear coat for that??kinda paint ignorant..hehe...NP about the PM i like i said am in no real hurry just wanted to knowthanx for getting back though..

·
Registered
884 Posts
i found some walmart brand chrome, and it matches damn well. Just dont clear coat it ;)

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Duplicolor is the manufacturer Metalcast is the line.. and the silver is called ground coat.. it is a hi temp paint -- look for another can by duplicolor labeled as "Adhesive Promotor" and thats all you need.... no clear coat is needed... just take your time and practice first.. that line is a tad more liquidy than the rest of the Duplicolor paints

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
u should just be different and have it professionally painted to match your car perfectly. heh

Mike

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
u should just be different and have it professionally painted to match your car perfectly. heh

Mike
nah no need 2 spend the extra 80 so or more dollars when u can just do it for 6 bux with some metalcast ground coat. it works good. here is a pic 2 with ground coat silver accents. the blue is the metalcast blue that goes on top of the ground coat.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kooter that looks friggin amazing...i want to do that to my dash too but i am affraid to pull it all out and f it up putting it back in...thans crispy for the painting tips...i hop eto get this done before Christmas..i will most likely do one light one day and the next light the next day..just in case i have t run out for any thing i will still have one light...the heat likes to bust people around here for only having one light and no lights...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Its easy to pull and put the dash together. Its actually a lot harder trying to pull apart the headlights

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have been wondering about this as well because I will probably be painting my lights pretty soon whenever I have them taken apart to put the demon eyes in. I was thinking of painting the lights silver to match the car but painting the little part right above the lights gunmetal to match my rims (like Craig's but different colors).

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i am not too sure that pulling the lights appart is all that hard...time consuming and a bit tricky i am sure but that guy in the demon eyes thread said that we could heat them up to get them appart easier and it would also stop the condesation problems..i just have to find out how hot and how long to heat them...i dont think it will take too long to soften the goo that holds them together...takes about 5 minutes at 300 degree to put bubles into the plastic so i am sure it it less then that...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts