New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the biggest and best horse adding performance mod you can put on the 2.5 v6 for around 300 dollars?:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
For performance, I would say to get an exhaust. You should be able to get one of the kits for a little bit more than $300 - or you can go to a muffler shop and they will custom fab one for you for $100 or so if you bring your own muffler. That way you still have cash to pick up an intake too.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
a used nitrous kit off of ebay....there was a zex one on there a while back for $275. They appear on there every now and then.

Mike

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not saying that at all..but they coulda gotten all those parts for their 300 dollar cap of spending and probly would have the best all around upgrade..not just for race and not just for cruise. They would have had money left over even.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Originally posted by: St8LyRaVn
a 3.0 UIM, throttle body, and intake. :)
How much hp would this gain?

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
actually if you are looking for hp/cost, a CAI is probably the best way to go... and i can semi-prove it :tongue:

Exhaust is almost guarenteed to cost over $300 + shipping + installation and for about 5 - 8hp - 10tq? (maybe $50/hp)
Headers would be awesome, $500+ for 15hp - ?tq ($33/hp) but 500 is kinda alot of money.
Intakes are about $125 - $150 and for 2-3hp and heatsoak *yikes* ($45/hp)

there are 2 cai's currently available for the cougar, (gmk & titan). I've seen the titan dyno sheet and it was shown to add approximately 7-8hp and 9-10tq OVER an aem shortram.
both cai's go for a little over $100 bucks now. so you figure thats $14.50/ hp... not too shabby :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
I agree w/ ND4SPD, but you forgot to tell him to gut the pre-cats. And you can also find a short ram intake on ebay for about $50. And get a higher flowing muffler. (maybe have an exhaust shop chop one in and eliminate the resinator too)

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Originally posted by: Pyrochaos
I agree w/ ND4SPD, but you forgot to tell him to gut the pre-cats. And you can also find a short ram intake on ebay for about $50. And get a higher flowing muffler. (maybe have an exhaust shop chop one in and eliminate the resinator too)
he mentioned headers, therefore no need to gut the precats. As for the 3.0L UIM stuff, you get like what, 10hp out of all that?

Mike

·
Registered
429 Posts
And get a higher flowing muffler. (maybe have an exhaust shop chop one in and eliminate the resinator too)
This is what I had done for my exhaust and I could definetely feel the difference. The car seems like it pulls alot harder with the exhaust than it did stock (can't wait to get a cai) but if you are going to remove the resonater make sure that you can handle a loud exhaust because it will be pretty loud, and will not sound very good when the car is not warmed up (but you shouldn't drive your car before it warms up so that doesn't really matter).

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
he mentioned headers, therefore no need to gut the precats. As for the 3.0L UIM stuff, you get like what, 10hp out of all that?

Mike
yep :) headers are much better, but the great price-tag of "FREE" on the precats is nice. Still, i'd rather go with headers.

and ya, i almost mentioned the 3.0UIM or SVT UIM, but i'm not too sure exactly how much they produce, and even less sure of how much they consistantly cost.

i'm going to say 10hp is a good estimate though for a bolt on mod... I'd go with the upgraded Throttlebody at the same time though :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
The prob with just doing the 3.0L UIM and throttle is you would still have the stock intake - doing a CAI and then saving up the money for the UIM combo would see more improvement than either seperately - and even then you wouldn't see the full gains until you put on the exhaust... if you do one mod, it leads to another (sing this to the tune from the old Latter Day Saints commercial about lying until you are insane)

If you have over 50,000 miles - my suggestion would be to spend the 99 - 130 bucks on a professional carbon flush. All the funk build up has prob robbed 10 horses by then anyway, so that and a CAI and your ready to race some 5.0 Mustangs! :biggrin:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Originally posted by: ND4SPD
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide

Mike
yep :) headers are much better, but the great price-tag of "FREE" on the precats is nice. Still, i'd rather go with headers.

and ya, i almost mentioned the 3.0UIM or SVT UIM, but i'm not too sure exactly how much they produce, and even less sure of how much they consistantly cost.

i'm going to say 10hp is a good estimate though for a bolt on mod... I'd go with the upgraded Throttlebody at the same time though :)
Exatly my point as free. (or close to it) He was looking for cheaper performance, headers kinda eats the wallet like tunafish. Plus if he guts the pre-cats, he can have a lot more room available for other mods (in his price range)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you speak of a shop custom fabricating an exhaust system when you bring your own muffler, what does that usually entail...? Does the shop make the whole entire exhaust system(meaning headers, ypipe, all piping inbetween) or just the piping? and say i have an apex'i N1 muffler. If i take my stock catback exhaust and a custom exhaust with the same diameter piping, and did a test of both exhaust with my apex'i muffler, i would think that they would be almost exactly the same...right? plz help

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
usually when an exhaust shop tells you that they will make you an exhaust... the are just talking about bigger (usually 2.5") exhaust pipes.
i dont know of any garages that do complete exhaust SYSTEMS

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Mike
10 horse isnt bad considering you can get the 3.0uim,egr tubing, and tb for 85plus shipping from buckshot. and it doesnt take much to tune. no need for new chip granted optimized it would do better with a chip. but see u have only spent 85+shipping you can use the rest to buy intake. and you still may come in under 300 so go figure...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Most shops are willing to weld in a muffler and take out your resinator. Some will make you a cat-back system. It depends if they have a bender and someone willing to do it.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by: DreamNforSpeed
so that and a CAI and your ready to race some 5.0 Mustangs! :biggrin:
haha, im assuming this was a joke?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts