New Cougar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I ran my gas out to where my guage said 0 miles till fill up, and put in 5 gallons of 110 octane race gas, what would it do to my times? Would it hurt the motor to run pure 110? Would a stock engine get any gains? Would I need a chip calibrated for 110?

Thanks, Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,790 Posts
You wouldnt need to do anything to your motor to handle it. A friend took a bone stock Nissan Sentra and thrw 104 octane, and it dropped his times by a few tenths.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it would be safe to try running on some 110 octane race gas? If I did have a chip calibrated to take advantage of it, it would help more right? Like a Diablo Chip with two settings for running race gas or just 93.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,608 Posts
Well here is what I have told many people on NECO...

Those things they tell you to put into your gas tank to clean out the injectors and such is a waste of money...

Putting 110 in it is really good for it... it burns really hot and will clean the motor out like you wouldn't believe...

I did it to my car when it has 2 miles of gas in it and put in 7 gallons, at the end the car felt amazing... even after I filled it back up with 89....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
I heard you shouldnt put this high of octane in your car unless you have a high flow cat or straight pipe?? I heard that from a local race car driver I went to school with and watched race... He works for a local garage and runs it in his truck but its got a straight pipe..??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,539 Posts
if you call wasting money a 'benefit'

my friend had an SR20DET in his G-20... before it burned to the ground he took it to the track and he said using 110 race gas took just over 2 seconds off his 1/4, but he did NOT have a Stock Motor. Nor was it a stock specification SR20DET. it had bigger injectors, lower compression pistons, cams, boost controller, the 4 TB intake manifold, headers and a custom downpipe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,608 Posts
Why you rolling ure eyes CougarGt... call the man who told me... he went 6.6 in the 1/4... he owns in Orlando... im sure he'd like to teach u a thing or two... call and ask for Tim... American Motor Sports...

Edited to include a link just in case your serious about learning...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,281 Posts
It burns so hot it'll send your cats to hades. Instant CEL. Besides, the filler nozzle on the 110 won't fit in the cougar's fuel tube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
Originally posted by: Neil
if you call wasting money a 'benefit'

my friend had an SR20DET in his G-20... before it burned to the ground he took it to the track and he said using 110 race gas took just over 2 seconds off his 1/4, but he did NOT have a Stock Motor. Nor was it a stock specification SR20DET. it had bigger injectors, lower compression pistons, cams, boost controller, the 4 TB intake manifold, headers and a custom downpipe.
How does one have a SR20DET with headers? Unless the headers are in the trunk just chilling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,064 Posts
Originally posted by: Cougaritus
Why you rolling ure eyes CougarGt... call the man who told me... he went 6.6 in the 1/4... he owns in Orlando... im sure he'd like to teach u a thing or two... call and ask for Tim... American Motor Sports...

Edited to include a link just in case your serious about learning...
Your ignorance is bubbling out from your comments. :)

Want to know why he went 6.6 in the 1/4?

BECAUSE HE HAD AN ENGINE DESIGNED TO BE RUNNING 110 OCTANE!!

Is a STOCK 2.5L running a STOCK PCM going to see gains from 110 Octane? NO.

The higher the octane rating, the SLOWER it burns. Thats right, SLOWER!!
The only time higher octane is needed:
1) Runnning Boost
2) Higher CR.
3) Running Highly Advanced Timing.

All three of these cases will cause either detonation or preignition. This is cause by raised cylinder tempatures and pressures causing the A/F mixture
to burn before the spark occurs. The higher octane fuel will reduce this occurance.


Perhaps you should understand the reasons for higher octane usage, other than "OMG........110 is much better than 87, cause higher numbers are better!!!!"

-Matt
 

·
Buyer Beware
Joined
·
6,575 Posts
Amen, CougarGT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,608 Posts
keep babbling man... the guy knows what he is talking about... he even puts it in his Vulcan Ford Ranger occasionally..... the reason i mentioned his other cars was to show he knows what he is talking about...

And your damn right it burns slower... but it burns hotter... so with slow and hotter burning it cleans out the fuel system.. i never said it would burn faster....

I never said that the car would be faster on 110... but a clean fuel system is going to run better... DUH!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,094 Posts
Originally posted by: Cougaritus
Putting 110 in it is really good for it... it burns really hot and will clean the motor out like you wouldn't believe...

I did it to my car when it has 2 miles of gas in it and put in 7 gallons, at the end the car felt amazing... even after I filled it back up with 89....
Wow.. Cougaritus has just singlehandedly demonstrated that the placebo effect is 100% true. :banghead:

I HEREBY PROCLAIM THIS THREAD TO BE A TOOLBOX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,608 Posts
no man its not all in my mind.. my car hesitated like hell before becuase of the fuel pump and it hasn't done it since i have put this gas in it every couple of months...
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,550 Posts
Not to add fuel to the fire (hehe...sorry...it just came out), but I thought lower octane fuels burned hotter for some reason, which--if I read CougarGT's message correctly--is what he's implying, too.

Not trolling or anything; just asking an honest question.

Thanks.
--RJ
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top