New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i was on my way to work when my car broke down on the highway :mad: lol. Anyway i have a few questions that someone might know the answers to.

First as you can see my belt is completely off....... whats needed to replace this? Just another belt?

As it turns out there's only 1 bolt holding this on i think..........and its almost coming off........wtf:disgust: Im almost positive that this is an issue:biggrin:

This line disconnected too im guessing lol, but i cant find where it connects to anyone know?

Another picture of the water line just for reference.

·
5,315 Posts
I don't have the Zetec, so can't speak to your belt or bolt issues, but that hose from the coolant overflow bottle is not a problem - it's not connected on both ends, it's the overflow hose.

If the idler and other pulleys are in good shape, I'd say you'd just need a new serpentine belt.

·
8,582 Posts
The belt looks to me like it might be wearing because the bearings in something are going bad (at least, that's how one of mine looked on the camper when the water pump went bad - it tore up the one edge). Grab each of the pulleys (alt, water pump, power steering pump, etc.) with the belt off and see if there's a lot of play back and forth.

Or it might just be a worn-out belt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea there's a lot of play with the pulley in the 2nd pick, the whole things about to come off. If you look closely you can see the bolt im talking about. You can also see where there should be a bolt...... why there inst one I have no clue:confused:.

Thanks you guys are helpin me out a lot:), btw anyone know the size of the belt?

·
Registered
263 Posts
yea there's a lot of play with the pulley in the 2nd pick, the whole things about to come off. If you look closely you can see the bolt im talking about. You can also see where there should be a bolt...... why there inst one I have no clue:confused:.

Thanks you guys are helpin me out a lot:), btw anyone know the size of the belt?
Belt w/ AC = 6 ribs x 82.7"
Belt w/out AC = 6 ribs x 78"

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
You alternator your talking about!

I see it now, I bet the belt just ripped itself apart going thru the tensioner once it slipped off the alternator pulley. That doesnt look rite tho, the bottom lobe is missing a bolt....or are the 4cyl alternators different?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmmmmm i've been tryin all day to get this thing on. The diagram looks a little off for some reason. It just dosent seem right, or its not including everything. If the pulley under the alt is the tensioner, then its not moving. Well the pulley itself moves but not the whole thing....if its supposed too.

Anyway i can get the belt around most pulleys, but for the final one its just too tight to do anything with. I know i need to do something with the tensioner to move it but how? Sry for being such a noob at this:biggrin:.

·
Registered
350 Posts
In your second picture, the pully that is the lowest and to the farthest right. That's the one you need to move. Put a wrench on the bolt and move the pulley UP. It takes some force but the entire pulley does move up. You may want to have someone help you slide the belt on one of the top pulleys last rather than trying to put it on a lower pulley last. Goodluck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:banghead:still cant do it lol. Its not moving at all.....i slipped and only hurt myself:tongue:. I've still got daylight to work on this thing but no luck as of yet. Whats the best pulley on last?

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you go to some place like Auto Zone, they have a tool that looks like a metal stick with a little nub on the end of it for a socket. They cost around $20, if I remember correctly, and come with 3 common sized sockets. You can also rent this tool from Auto Zone, but I don't know about other auto parts stores. This makes the job of moving the tensioner the easiest part of the process.

From the diagram, the best pulley to use as your pull over pulley, or the last pulley to put the belt over, would have to be the closest pulley to you on the top side of the engine. Basically, feed the belt around the rest of the pulley line and hold kinda tight to not lose the routing while you put the tensioner puller tool onto the nut. At this point, you can move the tensioner to the loosened position, it should move only one direction easily, and slip the belt over the last pulley. KEEP PRESSURE on the tensioner in the loosen state until you make sure everything is in its place and you aren't going snag anything when you release the tension on the tensioner.

Edit: From my understanding on the way the diagram is laid out and the way the pulley ribs are, you should need to push on the tensioner to get it into a loosen state. This is a front of car to back of car push on the wrench.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts