New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is looking to sell me his sub and his amp for a very resonable price. My questions is, how should I go about checking it out before I buy it. Anything i should have him show me or ask him to do? Make sure i am getting a good sub and amp, you guys know of any tests i should put it through. to check it out?

Also, do i need to buy a new battery to power my new amp and sub? I have the stock one that came with my car and I have not changed the alternator yet either. WIll I be ok?

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
yeah you should check the sub and see how worn out it is check the rubber around it. And with the amp take it to a stereo store and have them test it, they might charge you. And also what kind are they. No battery or alternator swap needed. Make sure also to get a nice set of wires and rca

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
No need to take the amp to a stereo shop. Just smell it to see if it smells burnt. I am sure that if he is a friend, he wont sell you something that doesnt work. Push down on the cone of the sub(not the dusk cap), and cehck for firmness. The more firm, the better.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Have him hook it back up, bout the only way to do it. If he has a new system in place of the old one, then a simple switch of the battery, ground, remote, and RCA's are about it. And of course the speaker wires...
and what is it anyways?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My friend ended up deciding to keep his current setup :( However, this worked out well for me, I took out my aftermarket Pioneer deck and sold it to my cousin, And I put my factory deck back in for the time being. My parents for the holidays said they would pay for a new headunit, a subwoofer, and an amplifier as my gift. The catch being I have to stay under $650 dollars. So by new years, I will finally have a system in my car Wohooo!!!

Anyways, here is what i was thinking of ordering from Crutchfield.

Headunit: Alpine CDA-9805 $200
Subwoofer: MTX T610 $120
Amplifier: MTX Thunder311D $230

If I place my order through Crutchfield, I get all the needed accesories to mount my new deck, and free shipping. That leaves me with $120 to spend on wiring, and mounting for my amplifier and subwoofer.

Wiring: StreetWires 8-gauge Amp Wiring Kit with Patch Cable $40
Mounting: Brackets $5

I can't find anything to use for mounting my amplifier, what would I need to do this? Also, Do i need to buy anything else, like wires to run from my battery to my amplifier and subwoofer? Should I look into a cap?

The above, is basically the best system I could make for the money, I do not care about hitting the hardest, I just want some good sounding bass to increase my listening experience. Will that be an acceptable system?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
$650 Is a sweet budget. Let me hook ya up :) :)

JVC KD-SX990 $134.55 Shipped (To my door - 29501)
Two Infinity Kappa 12" Subwoofers $208 Shipped (To my door - 29501) Get the 8 Ohm Versions, Run Paralel
Profile California CA800 $150.58 Shipped (To my door - 29501) Bridged into 4 ohms

Total is $493.13 which leaves you $156.87 to get wiring and mounting hardware. Build your own box, ported tuned to 35 hertz. Termpro is a good resource to use for Audio questions as far as how to tune your box. Click on their Audio Forums

Good Luck man.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts