New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever have a bazooka in the cougar? My friend is selling is car and I can get one cheap. I have an upgraded headunit, but stock speakers. I used to have 2 Fosgate 12s in my old car, so I'm not looking for a block-shaker...but something to help out alittle. Worth it to go with the little Bazooka...or would upgraded speakers do the same?

·
Premium Member
16,842 Posts
I think it would sound ok for ambient bass. Its not too big and could fill the car with sound for you nicely. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Timely question for me! :) One kid, another on the way, and the wife says I need to downsize my system (and not spend a ton on its replacement) so we can actually make use of the trunk from time to time.

She's probably right.

So the two 12s will have to go. Like 99Cat, I'm accepting the fact that I'm not going to get window-rattling bass out of a bazooka tube. I'd just like a round sound. I was looking at the nitrous bottle-looking tubes they have now (e.g., here though there are better prices out there) for giggles. I do have an amp that could work well with one of these (240W RMS mono, though with 0.2% THD), so it would be a nice match. Admittedly, I'm a sucker for the fact that they come in purple.

But are these horrible? Would I be better suited finding, say, a 250W RMS 4 ohm 10" or 12" sub (and if so, any recommendations)?

I'll miss the 12s for sure, but in about 18 months, when my cougar no longer has to be a daily-driver...then I can do with it what I want. As it is now, I drive 50 miles round trip daily and spend too much time in the car not to have decent sound from my stereo.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
you should try something like this!. This way you don't have to deal with wiring kits, mounting amps and whatnot!

Mike

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But you still have to worry about the sound and power wires. They have those at CircuitCity but not including the amp...for $120.

I decided I'm going with 2 12's - kicker comps in a sealed box. I guess we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'm reviving an old thread because I have a new question...
Bazooka BTA10100 or BTA10200 (100W vs 200W built-in amp)
Audiobahn ATB10AT or ATB12AT (10" vs 12", 100W vs 120W)

Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm still looking for something to round out the sound in my cougar, yet would be small/portable enough to remove with ease when I need to pack the kids up (and all of their things). I recognize I'm not going to wake the neighbors with any of them, and I really don't care to. Some folks sing the praises of audiobahn on here, and I'm just wondering how they measure up. Ebay/Internet prices put them all in the sub $200 range, with the audiobahn ATB10AT cheapest at around $150 shipped. I like the looks of the Audiobahns better, and the remote boost dial would be nice, but I've never heard them. Help?

Or should I just go with a standard sub/box/amp? Could I even get a respectable 10" or 12" single-sub setup amped for under $200? The aforementioned Audiobahn ABASS120P and 100P systems seem okay.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Originally posted by: KnappstamaN
are you kidding me? you can go to walmart and get a complete 8 gauge wiring kit for 20 bucks. Circuit city is a rip off and so is best buys wiring kits... i saw a rocksford tehre the other day that cost near 150 dollars.

you may get that for super cheap at walmart, but Ohm out the wire from end to end... their is a lot more resistance in that cheapo wire... hence less power flow... also, cheap wire tends to use larger strands and less flexible wire... fine strand is better for power... JL and Kicker power kits are around 50-100 (for large ga wire) but are well worth the money... they have smaller Ga kits as well which naturally are cheaper...

Sorry for the thread jack... cant stand that walmart audio pitch that gets thrown around... however i do agree, stay away from rockford power kits!!!

just my $.02

On another note, ive got a small 8" bass tube in my FS thread for cheap...

Dan

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Originally posted by: ice992
are you kidding me? you can go to walmart and get a complete 8 gauge wiring kit for 20 bucks. Circuit city is a rip off and so is best buys wiring kits... i saw a rocksford tehre the other day that cost near 150 dollars.

you may get that for super cheap at walmart, but Ohm out the wire from end to end... their is a lot more resistance in that cheapo wire... hence less power flow... also, cheap wire tends to use larger strands and less flexible wire... fine strand is better for power... JL and Kicker power kits are around 50-100 (for large ga wire) but are well worth the money... they have smaller Ga kits as well which naturally are cheaper...

Sorry for the thread jack... cant stand that walmart audio pitch that gets thrown around... however i do agree, stay away from rockford power kits!!!

just my $.02

Dan
THNAK YOU! Some people understand! Wire isn't just wire.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Dan
Saw that, but it's a 6" unamplified tube, right? The final reason I pulled my system is that the amp finally gave out. All the wiring and fuses live on, which is why I'm looking at fully self-contained amp/sub/enclosure systems with quick-disconnects. Hopefully this time next year I can get something much nicer and custom-built, but right now I'm looking for quick, easy, portable, and marginally inexpensive without sucking hardcore. :) And the $200 budget is self-imposed, but I can't see dropping a lot of money into something that, admittedly, is a compromise on audio quality.

I know Audiobahn also makes 100W powered 6.5" and 8" tubes, but for the relatively small difference in price (est $120/6.5", $130/8", $165/10", $190/12" 120W) I thought I might prefer the sound out of a larger tube.

And if anyone's embarrassed about having a tube and doesn't want other folks to know, feel free to PM me instead of posting here. This post is HIPAA compliant.

:rofl:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Originally posted by: lbizboy

just my $.02

Dan
THNAK YOU! Some people understand! Wire isn't just wire.
Well aside from being a Marine, I install car audio/visual for a living :thumbsup: So I see firsthand everyday the differences in these things and I also see who comes back and needs their shat replaced in 6 months... :rofl:

Dan

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
If you know what your doing you can go to an eletrical supply shop and get high grade wires for walmart prices... Welding cable has a low reistance and is nice and flexable. But theres alot of wires you can go with.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yeah, the wire talk is great...

Does anyone have any thoughts on the thread's actual subject?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Hrm...I'd not heard of those. Thanks for the heads-up. Dimension-wise, they're smaller. Higher wattage rating at 200W RMS vs. the 100W/120W RMS of the Audiobahn. Not the most attractive piece of equipment I've seen (in fact they're downright ugly) but it's another way to go. :)

Any other opinions between the Bazooka, Audiobahn, or Infinity systems?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.