New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'll go ahead and relocate the battery on the project car since its a good time to do it...

Does anyone know how much current we draw on startup?

Any recommended products that youve used or seen used? (boxes, disconnects, breakers, terminal blocks...)

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well,
I ordered these:
Remote terminals: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-500931
200 amp breaker: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-510598

And my dad just bought a box locally. I'll probably order a different box in the future because I found one I really liked by Moroso, but I'll go with what he got for now.

I would love to come up with some kind of terminal box to place the remote terminals in to keep them safe and hidden, but I'll worry about that later.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I guess I'm too late, but I found myself wasting a huuuuge amount of time and patience piecing a kit together locally, and *really* wish I'd gotten a damn kit off Summit racing instead. Heck, I didn't even come out ahead.

Please let me know how it went for you, I still haven't done the job on mine yet. I've got a 225 amp fuse ready to go, and I'll be using 1 gauge cable on a sealed box; driver's side of the trunk, probably grounded off one of the seat belt winder bolts. I kind of wish I'd gotten a breaker, now that you mention it.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I'm too late, but I found myself wasting a huuuuge amount of time and patience piecing a kit together locally, and *really* wish I'd gotten a damn kit off Summit racing instead. Heck, I didn't even come out ahead.

Please let me know how it went for you, I still haven't done the job on mine yet. I've got a 225 amp fuse ready to go, and I'll be using 1 gauge cable on a sealed box; driver's side of the trunk, probably grounded off one of the seat belt winder bolts. I kind of wish I'd gotten a breaker, now that you mention it.
Your fuse should do just as well, mine will just be a smidge easier to disconnect. In a way, a fuse might actually be preferable just because its a simpler device with less chance of failure in the future and easier/cheaper replacement if it does fail.
I think your right that the kits arent a bad deal financially if you literally need everything thats in them and the components they offer are ones that you would pick anyway.
That was not my case so it was well worth the effort for me to individually research the pieces and order what suited my needs.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forgot to get final pictures, but heres some in-progress pics that are approximately correct for what we did. I might make some small tweaks later, like adding a box around the components or moving them around small amounts...It really depends on what the intake ends up looking like. I really havent thought about what to do with intake on this car yet...
relocation stuff.jpg

·
5,250 Posts
I went with a fuse, used the same amp rating as the mega-fuse up front, about two feet of cable up from the battery. 0 gauge welding cable for the positive, grounded to the LATCH anchor in the hatch. The small sub amp is wired to the battery as well, with its own inline fuse. I also have a disconnect switch under the hood where the battery used to be.

I like those remote terminals up front!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts