New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, ive had he alt problem a few times and this is a bit different, and i just had my alt checked.

Kinda odd, every so often, when im driving at cruise, at around 2500 rpm -3000 rpm, i get my battery light flashing. If i turn my AC on, the light goes away for a while. Ive been told that i could be a loose belt but my belt seems fine. Any other suggestions on what it could be?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I would try changing the belt.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Try the belt .. might help /shrug

But just because you had it tested doesnt mean your not having trouble with the Alt and or related parts. I had an alt tested 3 times 3 different places they all felt it was fine even though i was strobing like a cop car.

The problem they finaly found for me was a bad plug on the Alt... the 3 wire plug going to the voltage regulator.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,940 Posts
Originally posted by: Moraki
But just because you had it tested doesnt mean your not having trouble with the Alt and or related parts.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'd put money on a bad alternator again. My second one lasted 4 months, and I have seen them fail faster than that. And testing isn't reliable at all.

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
One of my last few alts did this for about a month or so, then it went away. Of course, 6 months go by, and guess what? It finally goes poof! Check wiring and belt. More than likely its the early stages of a failing alt. :(

Greg

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Did they test the alternator with ALL of your accesories on? Make sure that happens, as that is usually the last test done on a charging system test. Could be a belt, or possibly your tensioner is at fault (never heard of this happening on a cougar).

·
Registered
61 Posts
its the alternator man, i went through 3 of them within 4 months. i fianlly got fed up and went to ford and had them install one $460. nice looking car but too many problems. it will be my last american car ever

after 3krpm battery lite come on and your stuff dims out. when it started i just replaced mine 2 weeks before my trip to florida. the alternator started doing in about ½into georga comming from NC. by the time i left back for NC the alternator died ½ way into orlando. it got so bad it would only charge at idle. i made it from orlando to 20 minutes from fayetteville in NC. i had to stop every 2 hrs and let it idle for 20 min. it completly failed when it got dark out and i had to use the lights

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.