New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done the alternater wiring fix and I replaced my alternator about 1 1/2 years ago its still charging at 14volts I still have stock battery. With the supercharger the motor spools up really quick and then I hit 6k and the thing bogs and I have to give it a second before I regain power.It really sucks it almost seems like a rev limiter. I would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you have the "sport" option, you don't have a limiter. You say you get up there fast.... our tacs are REALLY slow!!! I mean REALLY slow. I'd think your hittin redline. Just a thought

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure if I have the sport option, I would imagine I don't. Is there any way of finding out? Thanks for any help.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,006 Posts
Sport model has no speed limiter, but it DOES have a rev limiter - I've hit mine a couple of times at the drag strip. And you are right - by the time the tach says 6750, your motor has been there and past it for a while. It has a tremendous lag.

Sport model has rear disc brakes, and factory 16's.

But the fact that your battery light comes on at high RPM's tells you it's time to say goodbye to your alternator. It will only get worse. Yes, it charges fine at idle and low RPMs, but at high RPMs your worn brushes are losing contact with the core and GOODBYE CHARGE. You're lucky - a year and a half is pretty respectable for these alternators. Do you have a Motorcraft or aftermarket?

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
you should definitely replace the battery also, especially since you've already gone through an alternator. The alternator when its flaky charges the battery at inconsistant levels, which really puts stress on the battery and significantly shortens its life-span.

To charge a battery at 14V isnt neccissarily bad, it just shortens the life [specifically because it essencially overcharges it, forcing it to hold more charge than is optimal]. This affects it in several ways, over time it will only be able to hold a fraction of the overall amp-hours of a new battery but it can also sevearly limit the amount of amps the battery can output. so with your supercharger, you are putting alot of additional strain on the electrical systems to quickly rampup/rampdown the amount of amps it needs to deliver and I just dont think your battery can handle it anymore.

just my 2 cents.... we did alot of battery work with my solar boat, and I can say our batteries never lasted long befor they were trash. I suggest getting a high amp output battery [either an optima red top or if you can find them the NASCAR Selects].

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive got a factory alternator in it and its the 3rd one in the car. I did have rear discs but had 15in fan blades, I do have the speed limiter at 115, but no sunroof,no cruise,or abs. I also had the bigger stock rotors in frt. It sounds like I dont have the sport model but I got all the stuff that matters. I appreciate the help I think im gonna upgrade my battery and run beefier cable to the alternater and get a new alt.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
no cruise? are you sure, I thought that was standard across the board. [I mean I had the most bare stock car here but I did have cruise control]

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No cruise,I got the racing model:rofl:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yea i found that once i was going down the high way went to pass a guy and like ALL my lights Flickerd Radio Turned off an on Headlights Of and on all Lighting off an back on and batt light light up like a christmass tree, havnt had a battery issue yet soo i dont think its the alt but i unno i ahve the sport modle as well V6 ATX all for disc's and 16" Stock Rims (Upgraded to Fast Wheels - Virus '05's ) but i had the same issue

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Isn't the 6k RPM battery light flicker associated with the belt slipping? Every alt. that I've installed does this. I've got an easy fix idea that I'm working on... Will post later about it.

Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.