New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 cougar, 2.5L V6.

I went to leave today, and when I went to start it I noticed the gauges reset. Kinda weird, but it started and I was on my way.

When I went to leave my destination, car started to turn over for a split second, then just stopped. The dash lights went from real bright to real dim. The beeping sound from no seat belt or whatever, when from full volume to almost silent.

So i got a friend to give me a jump. all the dash lights light up, but the starter just clicks. It will keep clicking as long as I am on it, just never turns over. I also noticed that when I try and start it, the check engine light, and the battery light blink in sync with the starter clicks. Nothing else, just these lights, the rest stay fully lit. I used a DMM to check the voltage on the battery, and it read ~12.76V.

Sorry if this has been posted before, I live in Denver and just need to get it home before it starts snowing on wednesday. She is a Roush and deserves a garage! Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Do a voltage drop test on the battery. You have a DMM, set it to measure the voltage and then crank it. Volts shouldn't drop below 9v, and if it does, then the battery is junk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about with the jump? I should have still been able to turn it over with the jump even if the battery is junk right? being as I had it jumped to the terminals and not the battery itself.

·
Registered
341 Posts
no the jump won't help if the battery is drained. have it ttested or do it yourself. chances are its just a dead battery but be sure to have the alternator tested as well just to be safe. these cars aren't known for haveing great alternators

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thanks for the help Fast_kat01. I hope it is just a dead battery. I have no cash for much more.

Also thanks for your help Stealth.

I will post again when I am able to get back to the car in the morning. Thanks for your help!

·
8,627 Posts
How about with the jump? I should have still been able to turn it over with the jump even if the battery is junk right? being as I had it jumped to the terminals and not the battery itself.
Like Fast_kat01 said, not necessarily. When the battery in my Impala died, no amount of jumping it helped - we even did the "let the other car run for a while" thing. It was just too far gone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your help. Was just the battery. But I guess as I approach 100k i should not be surprised to have the alt. and starter go out too!

Here is a pic if you are curious what you helped me get back to the garage.

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Like Fast_kat01 said, not necessarily. When the battery in my Impala died, no amount of jumping it helped - we even did the "let the other car run for a while" thing. It was just too far gone.
Even with a dead battery, as long as you don't attach posts to posts, and the recipient car is attached red cable to positive, black cable grounded to motor, it should turn over. It might not start, but it should turn over. The battery kind of acts like a time-delay capacitor for the electrical system when the car is running. "Jumping" a car, if you do it with the cables properly attached, is the equivalent of attaching the other car's battery to your car's electrical system. You're just using really long wires instead of the short ones that normally attach your battery to your electrical system ;)

Most of the time though, if the car won't stay running after a jump, the alternator is probably toast.

Three tests to do:

Voltage test the battery: Should read between 12-13v
Drop test battery: Should read ~9v+ when cranking
Voltage test electrical system: Your electrical system should read MORE than 12v while the car is running. Usually 13.1v-14v

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Hey is there any type of aftrmarket alternator that will fit on a '00 cougar v6?
yup DB electircal makes em and there awsome but costly there have a no questions asked return policy as well with a 1 yera warenty

·
Registered
448 Posts
I can build a 200A 3G, but idk why you would need it on a Cougar. I have a 165A on my Bronco that is more than enough. Why do you need an aftermarket alt?

·
Registered
223 Posts
does your gauges go all the way around like its reseting, if it is, it could be the connection one one of the battery terminals or nasty corrosion on the inside of the terminal. 1st before you assume its something major try disconnecting the battery and cleaning the inside of the termninals, 2nd check and see if theres any open wires or if you have a amp wire, make sure those r not open at all. let me know if that helps ya

·
So its begun.....
16,842 Posts
I can build a 200A 3G, but idk why you would need it on a Cougar. I have a 165A on my Bronco that is more than enough. Why do you need an aftermarket alt?
Some people have car audio equipment that can draw more than what the stock alt can put out.

Example: The cougar stock alt is 130amp. My sub competition amp is fused at 150amp.(recommended by manufacturer) At full draw I'd guesstimate it can easily pull 140amps with 14.5 volts.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Some people have car audio equipment that can draw more than what the stock alt can put out.

Example: The cougar stock alt is 130amp. My sub competition amp is fused at 150amp.(recommended by manufacturer) At full draw I'd guesstimate it can easily pull 140amps with 14.5 volts.
+!
and just think how pissed off you get putting in new ALT's every couple weeks and how much cash you blow getting them put in
i'ts a great investment for people with stereos

·
Registered
448 Posts
+!
and just think how pissed off you get putting in new ALT's every couple weeks and how much cash you blow getting them put in
i'ts a great investment for people with stereos
Yea, I know. I'm am an audio guy. I was aking why to find out if that was why or if it was just that his was crap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.