New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of some help. I am wanting to replace the springs on my '99 Cougar, and I am torn. I ordered the KYB GR-2's and the K&N lowering springs from tirerack.com. A few hours after I placed my order, the sales rep called me and advised me against going this route because the struts were not designed for lowering springs, and that the strut would wear much faster.

So I am looking for some opinions of some people who have installed the BAT Euro Handling Kit and what you think of it. Is it worth spending the extra $50 and get the kit?

Please help...

Also, on another note...would it be wise to replace the strut mounts as well while I have the struts off?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am in need of some help. I am wanting to replace the springs on my '99 Cougar, and I am torn. I ordered the KYB GR-2's and the K&N lowering springs from tirerack.com. A few hours after I placed my order, the sales rep called me and advised me against going this route because the struts were not designed for lowering springs, and that the strut would wear much faster.

So I am looking for some opinions of some people who have installed the BAT Euro Handling Kit and what you think of it. Is it worth spending the extra $50 and get the kit?

Please help...

Also, on another note...would it be wise to replace the strut mounts as well while I have the struts off?

I haven't used the BAT kit, but it is well researched and designed to work well together. Little stiffer than the stock stuff, but it's good gear all together.

And yes... if you can't account for the strut mounts, replace them. No upper ball joints on these things.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have the BAT Kit and I'm happy with it. It didn't lower the car a lot, which is what I wanted. It definately didn't lower it any more than an inch. I wish I would have taken measurements before, but I didn't.

It's a noticeably stiffer ride. It seems to handle the corners better (less roll), but I can feel more bumps in the road. It's worth it though.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have B+G springs(1.75" drop) and KYB's as do many other members and have no problems. They have been on for 2 years and over 20,000mi.

But really, lowering your car makes everything wear faster. Only problem is that you cant quantify faster.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
cbman Re: BAT European Handling Kit Opinions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the BAT Kit and I'm happy with it. It didn't lower the car a lot, which is what I wanted. It definately didn't lower it any more than an inch. I wish I would have taken measurements before, but I didn't.

It's a noticeably stiffer ride. It seems to handle the corners better (less roll), but I can feel more bumps in the road. It's worth it though.
10-30-2007 07:26 AM

hey cbman you got any pics of how the height looks i've been trying to find some since i was thinking of getting that kit.

·
Registered
933 Posts
..anyone know BAT's e-mail address. Can't believe these people only have a phone No..... cheers G.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I ordered the Euro kit 3 weeks ago, and still have yet to see it hit my credit card. They are extremely slow. They said that I would have it in a week, and it has been double that time. I hope that it is worth this frustration.:banghead:

Thanks for all of your opinions!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts