New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, what started out as a thread in the Suspension section looking for more information about my recently installed BAT Cambers, turned up a MAJOR PROBLEM!

Please view the original thread here.

Basically, since August, and up until the end of October, I was driving around on my new suspension set-up with no problems. But now that my car is in storage I finally have the opportunity to look at my car. Upon examining my cambers under the hood, I noticed the top plates are completely loose and move around freely!!
The top nut is tight, but the camber top plate is just flopping around!

Please, any suggestions on what the problem might be, please help. I'll have pictures up ASAP! I'm taking them now, and getting the film developed.

Thanks,
Darrell.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATED: Here are the pictures.

1. Drivers side. I pushed it over so you could tell how loose it really is.

2. Passenger Side. Again, pushed over to see how loose it actually is.

3. Passenger Side. I can even fit my finger under there.

If anyone knows anything, please help me. :cry:
Darrell.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Atlas,

I have Ground controls also and the BAT camber/caster kit and well ive had it installed for about 6-8 months ive had no problems at all.

But my top plate does exactly the same thing as yours. Mine looks identical and i can move it around just like you.

I personally dont think you ahve anythjign to worry about.

-Rudy

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Originally posted by: MEOWWW
Atlas,

I have Ground controls also and the BAT camber/caster kit and well ive had it installed for about 6-8 months ive had no problems at all.

But my top plate does exactly the same thing as yours. Mine looks identical and i can move it around just like you.

-Rudy

same here

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by: MEOWWW

Originally posted by: mcon99

same here
Really???
Thank you! Thank you!
:bowdown: :bowdown:
You don't know how much of a relief it is to hear two highly respected neco members say that. I thought something was totally messed-up. I guess I thought that way because I don't really understand HOW the cambers do their job. I mean, I can understand the purpose of the off-centered hole in the top plate, and how that adjusts the camber/caster of the strut... but I don't understand how its doing its job when its so loose like that?? Maybe I should just go by a book on the subject... :biggrin:

So, what am I suppose to do? Just let the cambers flop around whichever way they want? Call me crazy, but that doesn't sound right to me :crazy:

Thanks again to everyone that replied and helped me out!
Darrell.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Same here- Actually had to remove the rubber boots from the top plates to get my OMP over them...

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
like these guys said, it's normal

like you, i thought it was strange, so i went back to the shop that did my alignment and asked them to make sure the nuts were tight.
well, the tech who did the alignment wasn't there, but this other guy picks up an impact wrench and proceeds to go to work on my strut tower nut. i was thinking to myself that this was not the right way to do things, but he's a professional right?

so then the dude cranks the impact wrench to its highest setting!
a second later, the nut snaps off with the top of my strut. :( i showed the service manager, and he give me an IOU on a strut install.

just one of my many "shops suck" stories.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by: DanG
Same here- Actually had to remove the rubber boots from the top plates to get my OMP over them...
You re-installed your OMP front strut bar underneath the top plate without modifying the holes? I was going to re-install mine after getting a machine shop to bore out the holes for me, then get the bar re-powdercoated. I don't need to do this?

(Seems like the more and more I get into this, the more and more questions I discover!) :)

Thanks,
Darrell.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Originally posted by: atlas
Originally posted by: DanG
You re-installed your OMP front strut bar underneath the top plate without modifying the holes? I was going to re-install mine after getting a machine shop to bore out the holes for me, then get the bar re-powdercoated. I don't need to do this?
maybe it's me, but i see no reason to bore holes in anything to make the OMP fit over the strut tower plate. Dan said to just take the rubber ring off from around the plates. his plates fit perfectly within the OMP.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
if you don't remove the rubber from the top plate, you'll have to grind out the OMP

we used a bit on the end of a flex shaft hooked up to a drill press. High RPM fun.

i personally didn't know how my scratching would occur without the rubber so thats why i left it...

it was an excuse to paint the omp bar anyways....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.