New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just wanted to know how credible is the Weapon R intake and the whole trio setup with the ram air and cold air box. I am in the market to by an intake and was browsing at a few...(AEM,Injen,WeaponR, etc..)
Does anyone have any recommendations or opinions?
If you need car specifics, I have the standard 2001 v6 atx.
Thanxs.

·
Administrator
24,498 Posts
At this point in time, it's crazy not to get a CAI from GMK, Titan, or CustomCougars. They work with automatics AND 5-speeds, and beat the heck out of any crappy cold-air box. Not to mention how much cheaper they are than Weapon R(ice).

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
if he wants the Weapon R trio, dont stand in way man... if thats what he wants, he should be able to inquire about it without having CAI information thrown at him :)

so - to answer the question:
I've heard no complaints about the WR trio - infact thats what customcougars.com uses on their project cougar i believe right?
some people say that the foam WR filter disentegrates faster than normal filters... so you might want to just replace it with a K&N filter or something, but other than that - if you have the money, go for it :)

·
Administrator
24,498 Posts
Well...Project Cougar is turbo-charged, so he's not using any typical brand of intake that we lowly N/A mugs do.

Anyways, he asked for opinions, an' that's what I'm a-givin! :)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Without plugging a particular brand...I have an Injen short-ram and I love it most of the time. The only problem is that even with a heat shield you still experience heat bog in the summer after the car sits for awhile. So that's why I'm probably going to a CAI soon.

As far as Weapon R, the only bad thing I've heard is about the filters as well. If you go that route get a K&N filter so you don't have that material all over and in your engine.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
The rumors of quicker disenigration(sp) have been around for awhile. Alot of peaople have said that the filters wear much faster then any other cone style filter, meaning early replacement.
The WR cold air box we tried to install didnt fit right at all, the top was sticking out way to high and wouldnt let the hood close or even come close. However this from what I can tell is an isolated case but it still did happen.

I as well recommend getting a CAI from any of the 3 manufacturers, mainly becaust you save money and it produces more gains. Just my thoughts though you are more then welcome to ask more ?s about the CAI as well, or search for titan, gmk, our CAI in general.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanxs for the replies guys. I know about the CAI, but it seems like work (well to someone not familiar with the area at all). I guess it depends on individual shops if they are willing to take on something like that (relocating the battery, fuse box, etc..) Right?

Can anyone provide feedback on what mechanics said or if you did it yourself? Thanxs againf or the info, I appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts