New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case anyone in Connecticut and New York didn't know, they just banned the use of MTBE. MTBE is a fuel additive commonly found in most mainstream gas.

The banning will cause gas prices to rise as much as $0.40 per gallon since the companies need to use a new additive, and basically a special batch in these 2 locales.

I live in NJ, but get gas in NY sometimes when I'm there. Sucks since gas prices in NY can be relatiovely high to begin with.

Figured I'd pass along the info. It was on the news earlier today.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hate to disagree. But i heard and entirely different report. The intial thought was that prices were going to rise. But under further investigation they released a report saying that prices were actually going to drop. Maybe i heard wrong but i swear they changed they're tune.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They said prices were gonna go up, since they have to open an entire new gas supply and it to be teated in a new way. This will be a limited gas supply, therefore prices will rise for a period of time. Whether or not the gas itself is now cheaper for the new additive they will use might be, it will rise due to the lack of supply and the high demand.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
im not sure , but since i frequent ct, nj, and ny i can see that ct has the highest , ny being the middle and nj having the cheapest gas. i think a average up here in ct is like between 1.55 - 1.61 for 87 , in nj where i just came from i was finding gas prices down near 1.39-1.45. i was in school , and my teacher was telling me that they changed the formula and also said that since the prices seem to be cheaper was due the (what it comes down to ) is the watering down of gas or the thinning of the mixture.. but i have not really seen a increase in gas prices yet.. but its a daily thing here in ct .. one day its 1.45 the next its over 1.60 its like a gamble .. oh well

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
here in NY gas prices have been over 1.60 for a while. In fact 2 months ago I was paying 1.78 for 87 octane...this was when I could still run 87 and didn't have the n20 hooked up. ugg

·
Registered
320 Posts
Too bad NJ isn't getting on the bandwagon to dump MTBE too. I know it will mean higher gasoline costs, but consider the damage MTBE causes, especally to the water supplies where underground water sources are used. In Ringwood, NJ, part of the municipal water supply had been contaminated by MTBE from a closed down gas station that had leaking tanks. Phillips-Conoco owns the site and is facing huge clean up costs, as well as the cost to redo the water supplies. :cover:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
a little late but i just found this,

Dont MTBE's rob a bit of power? so their removal is a good thing in a couple ways?

Exxon/Mobil 87 octane is $1.64 in my town here in CT, down from $1.79 last month

·
Registered
42 Posts
gas prices have risen for the past two weeks here, in Horseheads NY they aren't goin down at all:puke:

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
and you wonder why Long Island has the highest cancer rate in the nation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts