New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So My 01 cougar 2.0 5 speed I'm wondering if cougars are known for eating lower ball joints, my cougar has had 2 done this year on passenger side. 1 replaced on drivers side this year, now they don't have up and down play but side to side play when replacing and physically feel them moving side to side also feel the side to side play going down the road in the wheel. Is this common on these cars to go through ball joints or I just picked up some bad eggs?
Thank you in advance!

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,045 Posts
I don’t think I’ve ever killed a ball joint in 20 years. The rubber always goes bad before the ball joints ever do.

Cheap replacement parts can factor into this. Or improper installation.

Reactions: Jessy

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
Wrong bolts in the control arms possibly.
Control arm bushings could be bad and tricking you into thinking its the ball joint.
Or the rubber could have been torn during installation allowing water and dirt to enter.

Reactions: Jessy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A bad alignment will eat up parts quick. What's the condition of the rest of the suspension parts? Are you sure the ball joint is fully seated?
I just re did the whole front end lest year. The past week I replaced the strut mounts and after I did I could really tell the shake and seen a lose ball joint, so I replaced the passenger side now it's doing it on the drivers! I did replace my A arms with Dorman one and used the bolts they provided.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts