New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been searching on here for average mpg and have seen that mine is pretty low. i have a 2.5l atx with a sri and get 19mpg. i would say that 90% is town driving and 10% is highway. is there anything i can do to increase this? i do drive pretty hard. how much do you think the mpg would go up if i replaced plugs and wires and seafoamed it? i doubt they have been changed since the car came off the lot.
thanks for the help

·
Registered
231 Posts
ive been searching on here for average mpg and have seen that mine is pretty low. i have a 2.5l atx with a sri and get 19mpg. i would say that 90% is town driving and 10% is highway. is there anything i can do to increase this? i do drive pretty hard. how much do you think the mpg would go up if i replaced plugs and wires and seafoamed it? i doubt they have been changed since the car came off the lot.
thanks for the help
Hi Reel_Big_Fan.:wave: Actually, 19 mpg for a 2.5 ATX that is driven "pretty hard" in 90% in town driving is not too bad. Always take other people's MPG claims with a grain of salt, as they are usually intentionally and unintentionally inflated.

Will your MPG go up if you change plugs and Seafoam? Can't really answer that question, since you don't mention how many miles are on the car, how many of those miles you have put on it, and you don't know whether/when the previous owner changed the plugs.

What I can guess is that it probably wouldn't help much, since again, 19 mpg is not too bad for the driving style you describe. The best thing you could do to increase your MPG would be to ease up on the gas pedal and drive her a bit more gently.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
802 Posts
But there are always other stuff you can do to your car to improve gas milage... like exhaust i believe aprrouves it, um stuff like that, nothing else really comes to mind right now. but i only get about 21.3 miles to the gallon on a 99 MTX cougar 2.5L witch isn't that much better when you think of it. if it where lets say 30 miles to the gallon then you'd have something to worry about

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
That's really low to me. Don't drive so hard in the city!! You'll save a lot of money. Have you seen gas prices these days? I'm getting about 25mpg for some major mountain driving and its going up everytime I drive it. Just installed a $240 K&N CAI. Get an intake, it'll help. Factory airbox is too restrictive!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its got about 68000 miles on it.
99cougtrx, its about 2.73 a gallon here. and i have a intake(=sri). i didnt know k&N made cai's, only sri's?

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
A cold air box is a joke.... sorry it still sucks all the air from the engine bay even it if is next to that hole for the stock intake. Get the parts and make a real CAI.

As for the issue of better MPG.
Check and or change out your Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Plugs, maybe wires, and Oil.

I did all that recently and got back about 2mpg. Air filter was worse than i thought, but being that i have a true CAI you cant really see the filter too easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts