New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Cougar 2.5L V6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With regard to my '02 Cougar with a 2.5L V6, the automatic transmission can "regurgitate" ATF when parked. This can happen even after a very short drive but does not happen every time the car is used. I would estimate the time frame that it happens to be within 5 minutes of being parked, but have never caught it in the act. As a result, I haven't been driving it much at all, and given that it has just under 100K miles on it, I had viewed it as transmission rebuild time given the poor reputation that CD4E transmissions have. I don't know where it is leaking from, but assume it is from the dipstick tube or a vent. Has anyone experienced this or does anyone have ideas on what it could be and where it is coming from? I am completely nonplussed.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,042 Posts
There’s a rubber vent tube under the battery. Make sure that is clear of obstruction and open to the atmosphere.

·
Registered
2002 Cougar 2.5L V6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My hopes for a simple solution have been dashed. I checked the rubber vent tube and it is clear as well as the fitting on the transmission, so I don't think that was the cause.

Does anyone have any more ideas?

Update on 9/13/22: After going on more than a dozen short trips since tending to the vent tube, the only ATF I have seen under the car is a few drops from probably what was residue. The rubber vent tube was partially crimped, even though it was still open, so I cleaned it inside and out and reversed it upon re-installation. One side has a molded-in elbow that provides a smoother path. It looks like your call was right on target. Thank you very much B3NN3TT for the suggestion and telling me where the vent fitting is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts