New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever i drive into my GF's parkade i go to get stuff from the back of the cougar and the hatch wont open! I have to get my roomate to push up from the inside of the trunk while i lift from the outside and push the button! i am geussing this is from the steep inclines in the parkade. Im just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? and if possible how would i go about fixing it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I do have a similar problem with mine. When I pop the hatch it won't open unless I'm lifting on it directly. Resulting in effect that I cannot open it from the button inside the cabin but rather by using my key-fob. However, push it once from inside and it pops it up inicially, second and third time just releases it and then I can run to the back and lift and it will usually open. But I don't have a fix for this, just stating that I have a similar problem :banghead:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I have the same problem, and I just live with it... Of all the problems with the car that seems like a small one. I think maybe it has something to do with the springs, or the struts not being stong enough... I don't know. Just a warning, in colder weather, the gas contracts in the struts, and the hatch doesn't want to stay open... maybe that's just my car, but I'll say from experience, it hurts to get hit in the back by the latch piece. A lot.

·
PLATINUM M0DERAT0R
4,995 Posts
Yah, I'd say get some new hatch struts. This usuall happens if you have a spoiler on the hatch creating more weight. Not really a problem, more of an annoyance ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I suggest replacing the springs with high powered solenoids or actuators or electric spring loaded something or other :biggrin: then your trunk would totally fly open. That would rock! Plus it's like a $10 mod.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,814 Posts
Get a pack of felt adhesive furniture pads from Wal-Mart, and place one on the end of each spring, next to the latch.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I just recently fixed this problem on my cougar..I got to looking at the cougars at the salvage yard and all 4 of them had a spring on the left of the latch and on the right, I thought that was odd, cause mine and my nephew's cougar only had one, so I got the one off the junker and put it on mine and ta da..pops up just fine. You might want to check and see if yours has 2 springs or just one, may be the problem..my 2 cents :rofl:

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I like the felt adhesive idea i think im gonna use that one, my trunk pops but now and then i gotta hit the button a few times before i can open it properly

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just yanked my springs out a bit so its fully stretched length is like a centimeter longer and now it hasn't stuck yet, which is awesome. And here's where it gets boring but yes, I did spend a whole couple of minutes studying the problem and it's not as simple of a fix as you might think. We all know the springs over time just compress but the problem isn't what you might think. Unless the spring is really, really crappy, it has enough energy stored to throw the trunk door open every time. It might actually be that weak though (mine was getting there) but there's another issue. When you hit the interior release button and shut the car's side door, it creates a burst of air pressure that bounces up the trunk door a lot and when it falls back down the weight instantly relatches it if the springs aren't strong enough to support the impact. If the springs are stiffer, they hold it up while it falls and it doesn't relatch but if they're too stetched out, they catapult the door too high every time it opens and it accelerates on the way down and re-latches. So if you stretch them out and still have the problem, you stretched it out too far and gravity's messing with you :tongue: But if you stretch them out just enough, the air pressure will escape when you close the side door because there will be enough of a crack and it won't hop and relatch

So the moral of the story is, keep gravity, air pressure, and spring tension in mind and tweak it until it's perfect.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just recently fixed this problem on my cougar..I got to looking at the cougars at the salvage yard and all 4 of them had a spring on the left of the latch and on the right, I thought that was odd, cause mine and my nephew's cougar only had one, so I got the one off the junker and put it on mine and ta da..pops up just fine. You might want to check and see if yours has 2 springs or just one, may be the problem..my 2 cents :rofl:

Yeah, that what I found out too, when I was working on replacing my hatch w/ a C/F one. The hatch I got for a junk yard had 2 and mine only had one, so I took one and put it on mine and it works perfect now.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I just yanked my springs out a bit so its fully stretched length is like a centimeter longer and now it hasn't stuck yet, which is awesome. And here's where it gets boring but yes, I did spend a whole couple of minutes studying the problem and it's not as simple of a fix as you might think. We all know the springs over time just compress but the problem isn't what you might think. Unless the spring is really, really crappy, it has enough energy stored to throw the trunk door open every time. It might actually be that weak though (mine was getting there) but there's another issue. When you hit the interior release button and shut the car's side door, it creates a burst of air pressure that bounces up the trunk door a lot and when it falls back down the weight instantly relatches it if the springs aren't strong enough to support the impact. If the springs are stiffer, they hold it up while it falls and it doesn't relatch but if they're too stetched out, they catapult the door too high every time it opens and it accelerates on the way down and re-latches. So if you stretch them out and still have the problem, you stretched it out too far and gravity's messing with you :tongue: But if you stretch them out just enough, the air pressure will escape when you close the side door because there will be enough of a crack and it won't hop and relatch

So the moral of the story is, keep gravity, air pressure, and spring tension in mind and tweak it until it's perfect.
how hard r u closing the door?!!?!??? just dont close it as hard and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The part can be had from the dealer for around $10, more so around $8 I believe. I have the part # in the car to stop by the dealer in Fort Wayne to order some new ones. This is a 3 day part delivery for most.

If you do go to the dealer and look it up; the Zn (Cougar), which is classified as the regular for a 2000 cougar in parts, will show 2 assemblies on the hatch.

As for the struts themselves, they are around $30 each. They are an easy next day pickup part.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
I suggest replacing the springs with high powered solenoids or actuators or electric spring loaded something or other :biggrin: then your trunk would totally fly open. That would rock! Plus it's like a $10 mod.
Or you could fix it the right way. :crazy:

·
8,582 Posts
My car came with two springs and I still have the problem, so that's not always a fix.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts