New Cougar Forum banner

Back Again: 00' Cougar or 95' Eclipse

2K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  koreanboi121 
G
#1 ·
What would win if they both came stock in a race with equally skilled drivers?

G
#3 ·
Ok thanks. But what about with mods. If you consider the mods you can get (soo much more on a eclipse), and say I invested the same amount, which would be better? And yes they are MTX's

#4 ·
what kind of eclipse? GS? RS? GS-T? GSX? All weigh about 200-250lbs less than the cougar, except the GSX. As for the mods, you can definitely spend the same amount on both cars and end up with more hp-boosting performance parts for the eclipse.

Mike

#8 ·
If it is a GS-T or GS-X it will own a cougar any other eclipse you have a chance.

#10 ·
yes, gsx is the best. the gsx is all wheel drive turbo, and the gst is front wheel drive turbo. the other two models are non turbo front wheel drives.

#11 ·
UUMM the Eclipse IS heavier than the cougar...(well not the 02 cougar)

#12 ·
i was owned by a gsx when i had my 99. You can make any car fast, do you want somethin that everyone else has? or somethin a lil more original;)

G
#13 ·
Well when I first started looking for my new car I brought came down to 3 cars. The 00' Celica, the 95' Eclipse, and the 99'-00' Cougar. Out of all of them I liked the cougar the best (for looks as you probably know).

I liked the Celica until yesterday when I got to drive one... then I hated it.

The Eclipse though has gotten some great reviews and it has many many many different styles and parts to choose from.

Being I'm on a limited budget I can really only afford about 10k worth of car. I can get the Eclipse for about the same price as a Cougar and have a faster more reliant car (I have heard oh so much stuff about breaks in everything... but then again I have heard a equal or greater number of praises). After buying either of the cars it would leave me with about 3-4k to spend on parts and all that jazz. I could get all my eclipse parts for 2/3 the price of the cougar which means more parts. This matters to me because after this 10k is gone I am going to be STRAPPED for money, and I fear I won't be able to buy anymore parts for a while.

The eclipse would also let me branch out and design my own design. I feel like I am too limited with just the Cougar and its (6?) different body kits and no turbocharger (well.. anymore).

#14 ·
1. The cougar doesn't need a body kit to look good.
2. Everyone else will have an eclipse...why be like everyone else?
3. You can get a cougar for 5 or 6 grand if you try.
4. That leaves you with another 5 or 6 to dump into the engine, and it can get you a fast (enough) cougar.
5. The eclipse is no faster than the cougar unless you get a gsx or gst which is too expensive.
6. I cant think of anything else.
7. Buy a ****ing cougar please.

#15 ·
if your talking about a 95 GS or RS Eclipse. FORGET IT. The name plates stand for Go Slow, and Real Slow.

The GST & GSX have a 50% chance of crankwalk! Plus the 95&96 years have timing belt problems.

I bought my cougar for nearly 6k LESS than a same year GST with double the miles, and a bad engine. Migitpushy..NO Thankyou

#17 ·
Hehe I'll give him a ride in my Cougar when his Migitpushy falls apart. :biggrin:

#18 ·
Originally posted by: GrandMasterKhan
UUMM the Eclipse IS heavier than the cougar...(well not the 02 cougar)
Our Cougars are not as light as yours dude. The GS weighs in at 2822 lbs, RS at 2723 lbs, and the GS-T at 2877 lbs. The Cougar weighs in at 2892 lbs. hehe :biggrin: (well it IS heavier) My sources are Edmunds

Mike

#20 ·
I didnt mean my car. I used to own a Eclipse GS and regret every second of it.

Coupe Trims
RS GS GS-T GSX
Curb Weight - Auto (lb.) 2817 2920 3050 3350
Curb Weight - Manual (lb.) 2754 2855 2970 3270

GSX = Better off the line traction, BUT Heavier & more drivetrain loss.

Cougar
I4 V6
Curb Weight ATX (lb.) N/a 3021
Curb Weight - MTX (lb.) 2892 2941

So the cougar is Lighter than the Turbo.. and the I4 cougar is a bit heavier than the GS
But lets not forget the Cougar has a much supierior interior quality, seats, and nicer stock wheels available.

I will warn you. TAKE the GSX to a mechanic and have it Seriously looked over. Compression, any signs of crankwalk, How is the tranny?

These cars get alot of abuse! Not to mention there spontanious engine failures and problems. I am not talking oooh an alternator...or big deal a fuel pump... I mean a 50% chance or your 20k mile pristeen condition stock GSX or GST's crank will decide it likes to wobble around inside the block. No one seems to know why or be able to prevent the problem... And slap 1 mod on your engine and kiss your warrenty goodbye.

But your buying a 95..so no warrenty, and high miles. Spells disaster to me... IF I where you...First thing I would do is Buy a new or used (35k) engine Right Away... But even then you might get a dud.

Too risky of a game for me...too big of a risk for the power potential. If you just want speed. Then get a 1st gen 90-94 Eclipse GSX, but even then the trannies are glass.

#22 ·
yeah Exactly. Why pay TWICE as much for a car with TWICE the milage and wear and tear? Sure It might have more "HP" stock, but who is to say the turbo still even works?! Especially if its a stock turbo?

#23 ·
Originally posted by: CougarBalla2k5
both mtx? cougar. if drivers were equal. IIRC eclipse weighs more.

ATX...not sure... buddy of mine has an eclipse atx ran a 16.7 so I can beat him....not sure what engine he had
ok ok i got an idea to prove you wrong. you get your cougar... i will get my eclipse... and we will go

G
#24 ·

Coupe Trims
RS GS GS-T GSX

Cougar
I4 V6

So the cougar is Lighter than the Turbo.. and the I4 cougar is a bit heavier than the GS
But lets not forget the Cougar has a much supierior interior quality, seats, and nicer stock wheels available.

I will warn you. TAKE the GSX to a mechanic and have it Seriously looked over. Compression, any signs of crankwalk, How is the tranny?

These cars get alot of abuse! Not to mention there spontanious engine failures and problems. I am not talking oooh an alternator...or big deal a fuel pump... I mean a 50% chance or your 20k mile pristeen condition stock GSX or GST's crank will decide it likes to wobble around inside the block. No one seems to know why or be able to prevent the problem... And slap 1 mod on your engine and kiss your warrenty goodbye.

But your buying a 95..so no warrenty, and high miles. Spells disaster to me... IF I where you...First thing I would do is Buy a new or used (35k) engine Right Away... But even then you might get a dud.

Too risky of a game for me...too big of a risk for the power potential. If you just want speed. Then get a 1st gen 90-94 Eclipse GSX, but even then the trannies are glass.

are you insane? what are you smokin? the GS-T and GSX had the 4G63 engine, which by the way is in the EVO. it is one of the most bullet proof engines. all forged internals, forged crank,s forged pistons, capable fo withstanding 35psi of boost. these engines do not "spontaneously" fail. and the crankwalk problems are DIRECTLY related to lack of oil pressure, which is usually end user problems. as far as glasspack trannys? i don think so. you show me another carbon lined transmission that is better built. the weak parts are the clutches. and the 16g turbo thats in the car is a direct decendant of the turbo pushing 22 pounds through my EVO and Mitsubishi Turbos DO NOT FAIL. otherwise if they did, everyone in the world would not be using them.. ie. STi and SRT-4. Both Mitsu turbos.

#25 ·
Originally posted by: Zalec
Originally posted by: CougarBalla2k5
both mtx? cougar. if drivers were equal. IIRC eclipse weighs more.

ATX...not sure... buddy of mine has an eclipse atx ran a 16.7 so I can beat him....not sure what engine he had
ok ok i got an idea to prove you wrong. you get your cougar... i will get my eclipse... and we will go

Hardly fair considering a 2003 eclipse is not in question. But for sake of arguement. Ok lets go, I'd smoke your ***** ass punk!!

#26 ·
Originally posted by: mprtklr

Coupe Trims
RS GS GS-T GSX

Cougar
I4 V6

are you insane? what are you smokin? the GS-T and GSX had the 4G63 engine, which by the way is in the EVO. it is one of the most bullet proof engines. all forged internals, forged crank,s forged pistons, capable fo withstanding 35psi of boost. these engines do not "spontaneously" fail. and the crankwalk problems are DIRECTLY related to lack of oil pressure, which is usually end user problems. as far as glasspack trannys? i don think so. you show me another carbon lined transmission that is better built. the weak parts are the clutches. and the 16g turbo thats in the car is a direct decendant of the turbo pushing 22 pounds through my EVO and Mitsubishi Turbos DO NOT FAIL. otherwise if they did, everyone in the world would not be using them.. ie. STi and SRT-4. Both Mitsu turbos.

Preach on mprtklr. The 4G63 Engine is very well built and strong. CrankWalk is not a 50% chance it's under or around 10% and thats only with the 2G 7 bolts. I'll show any cougar in here whats up. I use to have a cougar and drove an MTX several times, car is slow even with 1500 under the hood. Put 1500 under the hood of any turbo DSM and your going to get owned by a high/mid 13sec car. I beat the ever loving hell out of my DSM and she just keeps coming back for more. Alot of people give the DSM's crap for realiability, but I guarntee any other car thats gets treated as bad as my DSM would fall apart after a few hours if not blow up.

The only cougar on this board that would put up a good fight with a mildlly modded DSM would be Jesse's roush cougar in Iowa ( SuperCharged 3.0L ). And do we even want to put a price tag on all that work???? ( Can't counts James's car, tralior queens with no 1/4 time slip don't count )

Cougars are beuatiful cars but you have 2 different worlds here.

Cougars are nice commute, show, crusing cars.

Turbo DSM's are made for speed and kicking ass.

Apples to oranges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.