New Cougar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Oh, also want to develop some kind of front splitter as well. I've been doing some research on that; should be easier when I'm not working around a Roush lip.

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Your splitter should look like a tongue

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
There is a class restriction for splitter width; I can’t make it wider than the rest of the car I think.

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
SATURDAY PROGRESS

Not as much as I wanted, but did ok.

Installed all the dashboard panels and a-pillar trim. Installed both seats and 4-point harnesses. Installed center console. Had to replace the pedal box harness since it had been modified, and the brake lights weren’t working.

Car still wouldn’t run well, and was choking on throttle tip-in. Added more fuel to the completely empty tank and it seemed to sort things out. Maybe that was all. Hopefully.

Fit the new wheels, and they are unbelievable. Less than a finger width between the tire and strut, so it might like a tiny spacer; 5mm or so. Don’t know for sure yet. No rubbing, but might like some insurance.

Switched out the trunk lock cylinder, and installed the power trunk actuator. Tested good.

Moved the Roush rear sway bar over to the new car, with the new TZT links.

Drove it down the street a little, finally. It’s ALARMINGLY stiff. Very loud. Didn’t want to take it too far as the exhaust is pointed straight at the fuel tank, so can’t push it yet.

Next Saturday I’ll likely do more work. Plans for next weekend:

Modify front trans mount
Install front big brakes
Install new stainless soft lines and flush fluid
Modify exhaust to fit
Drill for cold air intake

Took some photos; looks funny with the baby brakes still on there.

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
What do you think about those hood latches? With Zack having found a new Kam hood supplier, I was looking at various styles of latches a few days ago but its hard to feel confident about them from just online photos.

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
They are legit Aerocatch pins. I kind of hate them. They are going away when I move over the carbon fiber hood.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Car looks the business. The rotas look good, as much as i want to hate them.

Reactions: B3NN3TT

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Ordered a pair of 5mm spacers for the front wheels. Those are where the majority of the loads and deflection will occur, so I'm adding just a tiny bit of insurance that I don't rip out the sidewall on the strut. Added bonus - with no spacers, the axle stub pops off the center caps when you torque the lugs, so this should allow me to use the center caps with no interference. Might have to massage the fenders a TINY bit, but nothing like before with those +19 offsets from last year. Plus, the front fenders will flare like crazy with very little effort, unlike the rear arches - yikes.

Pro tip - H&R makes THE BEST wheel spacers in the business. Hubcentric, and all are shipped with a set of extended studs. I used a set of these back when I was running the SVT Focus wheels, and would never even bother looking for anything else.

The part number for these is 10346331 if anybody is interested in something similar.

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
how the hell do you say that on the label. silly germans.
Haha, "zee Germans"...

Updated list, for my own reference as much as anything.

Items in red are the goal for this Saturday:

Still to do before it's race-ready:
Install dashboard
Wire up power door locks and install interior door handles
Install interior door panels
and center console
Swap over carbon fiber hood/pins
Fresh oil change
Fresh coolant fill

Install Roush rear sway bar
Swap over 300mm front brakes
Install camber plates on front struts

Bleed clutch
Modify front roll resistor to fit 95-96 subframe
Figure out the exhaust routing

Install all remaining backing plates for ST200 brace
Bolt up seats and harnesses
Check fitment on new wheels, add spacers if necessary
Check alignment

Things that need to happen soon:
Install A-pillar pod with gauges
Install Goodridge brake lines & flush system with fresh fluid
Test Jaguar keyless remote and sort out lock cylinders to match

Install OMP front strut tower brace
Install power trunk latch actuator
Install front washer fluid line

Drill hole for cold-air intake
Drill out rear shock towers for easy access to damper adjustment

Future plans:
Fabricate blanking plate for stereo delete
Vinyl black-out roof
Switch over to Braille battery setup
Replace SVT oil cooler with air-to-oil arrangement
V-band quick release to switch between street/race exhaust

Holding pattern on the Jaguar flip key. It's a cool party piece, but if the keyless remote on it doesn't work with my PATS system, I've got no use for it. I'm not going to carry 2 remotes around with me no matter how cool it is. But I can't test the remote because the power locks aren't wired, so that has to come first - THEN I can try to program the Jaguar remote to work on the Cougar. If it works, I'll swap over the ignition cylinder and run it. If not, I'll swap over the door lock cylinders from the Roush, so everything matches. Currently the ignition tumbler and trunk tumbler both came over from the Roush, but the door cylinders are Jaguar parts. So one or the other will be getting changed out.

·
Administrator
15,530 Posts
Holding pattern on the Jaguar flip key. It's a cool party piece, but if the keyless remote on it doesn't work with my PATS system, I've got no use for it. I'm not going to carry 2 remotes around with me no matter how cool it is. But I can't test the remote because the power locks aren't wired, so that has to come first - THEN I can try to program the Jaguar remote to work on the Cougar. If it works, I'll swap over the ignition cylinder and run it. If not, I'll swap over the door lock cylinders from the Roush, so everything matches. Currently the ignition tumbler and trunk tumbler both came over from the Roush, but the door cylinders are Jaguar parts. So one or the other will be getting changed out.
I had that on my Cougar and the remote worked fine.

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
AHA, thanks Wade; that saves me the hassle of testing; I’ll swap everything over to Jag-spec and run with it.

·
Administrator
15,530 Posts
AHA, thanks Wade; that saves me the hassle of testing; I’ll swap everything over to Jag-spec and run with it.
I mean, I can't make any promises but I didn't have any issues. Those door lock cylinders were a nightmare to swap so if they're already in there I'd keep that setup if you can.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts