New Cougar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

Registered
Great work bro!
Just subscribed to your topic.

Have to say only one thing, seen your old rust problems...D2 coilovers suffer a lot of rust and oxidation, performance and chrome are good but original paint (springs too) and struts material are ****
Take the time now to prevent and treat all surface even the thread.

Once you get that box o' parts worked out, I'm missing a couple backing plates which I'd like to find, hint hint wink wink. Let me know when the sale begins :) Sad to see the green Roush go, but happy you're still rockin' a Cougar, and parts will live on! And those wheels are sweet 馃憤

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
D2 coilovers suffer a lot of rust and oxidation, performance and chrome are good but original paint (springs too) and struts material are ****
Take the time now to prevent and treat all surface even the thread.
Thanks for the alert. I was planning on investing in a few cans of Fluid Film to coat those things with before I put too many miles on them. My current set of KSport coilovers are black anodized, so they seem to wear better, but these D2's are better in every way otherwise.

Once you get that box o' parts worked out, I'm missing a couple backing plates which I'd like to find, hint hint wink wink. Let me know when the sale begins :) Sad to see the green Roush go, but happy you're still rockin' a Cougar, and parts will live on! And those wheels are sweet 馃憤
Thanks! Looking forward to firing it up this weekend...

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
IT鈥橲 ALIVE.

More news later.

Reactions: DarkCat00

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok, Saturday recap.

Goal for the day was to fire the engine, and I got there. But there were some headaches.

Laid the wiring in the dashboard cover - which was a total Eureka moment, as every dash swap I鈥檝e ever done before, I left the wiring plugged in and pulled the dash cover away from it. BIG MISTAKE; this way is SO MUCH EASIER. Just keep track of what鈥檚 plugged in where though. More on that.

In the engine bay I installed all the new Samco coolant hoses, and bolted up all the grounds. Installed cruise control module (THAT鈥橲 RIGHT I鈥橫 KEEPING THAT). Noticed that a few of the subframe bolts hadn鈥檛 been tightened all the way, so in fixing that, I found out that I had put 2 PRT isolator bushings under the right front. So THAT鈥橲 where that went... Oops.

Discovered that I didn鈥檛 torque down the power steering lines on the steering rack when I filled the reservoir and it ran out all over the floor. That is NOT a fun job when the engine is in. Took probably 40 minutes to tighten 2 fittings. Hopefully they are tight. Time will tell.

Torqued all the front LCA, tie rod and sway bar link bolts. Installed half of the exhaust (headers back to the muffler). Put the wheels back on and put it on the ground.

Installed the dashboard, and connected everything up. Installed steering column and wired it up. Then it was time for fire.

Hit the key - nothing. Dashboard clock works, but that鈥檚 it. Hmm.

Dig around under the dashboard and found 3 wires that hadn鈥檛 been plugged back into the junction box. Oops. Hit the key again - nothing. HMMM.

Back under the dashboard, found one more plug that I had routed way wrong and fixed that, plugged it in where it belongs. Dash lights up and door chime starts singing. BINGO.

Crank it over - no start. Then I remember the fuel line and filter were both dry, so I cycled the key a good dozen times, and it lit up.

Ran okay; a little rough. Then noticed the MASSIVE LEAK coming from the engine. Shut down. Oops.

The oil pressure line to the A-pillar gauge was simply cut when the engine was removed from the green car. Hadn鈥檛 put the pillar pods in this car yet, so I forgot all about that. There was probably 2-3 quarts of oil all over the transaxle and subframe, and the garage floor. Oops.

While fixing that I snapped the plastic elbow on the PCV valve. Oops.

Made a parts run for a new PCV valve, installed, and did a fresh Mobil-1 oil change. Fired right up afterwards. Ran kind of bad, but I think it was because I hadn鈥檛 installed any dash panels yet so the HVAC lines were open to the atmosphere, and the engine couldn鈥檛 hold any vacuum. Backed it out into the driveway and pulled it back into the garage - clutch, gearbox and brakes are all 100%.

Didn鈥檛 get a chance to test fit the new wheels. Will do that next visit - probably this coming Saturday.

Reactions: LinkMan

Premium Member
Great progress! Glad to see its staying on a reasonable schedule. These things can go south quickly. Sounds like you should have it all 100% in another weekend or two.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Updated list, for my own reference as much as anything.

Items in red are on the immediate slate for the next weekend.

Items in green are on the secondary list for the next weekend, cuz that's a lot to ask for one Saturday.

Still not 100% sure how this exhaust routing is going to work. For now I just removed everything behind the center muffler, but that's not ideal...

Still to do before it's race-ready:
Install dashboard (still need to pop on the switch plates and HVAC, but that's quick and easy)
Install interior door panels and center console
Swap over carbon fiber hood/pins

Fresh oil change
Fresh coolant fill

Install Roush rear sway bar
Swap over 300mm front brakes
Install camber plates on front struts

Bleed clutch
Modify front roll resistor to fit 95-96 subframe
Modify exhaust to clear subframe connectors
Install all remaining backing plates for ST200 brace
Bolt up seats and harnesses (only one bolted up now, so halfway there)
Check fitment on new wheels, add spacers if necessary
Check alignment

Things that need to happen soon:
Install A-pillar pod with gauges
Install Goodridge brake lines & flush system with fresh fluid
Test Jaguar keyless remote and sort out lock cylinders to match (currently needs 3 different keys)
Install OMP front strut tower brace
Install power trunk latch actuator
Install front washer fluid line
Drill hole for cold-air intake

Drill out rear shock towers for easy access to damper adjustment

Future plans:
Fabricate blanking plate for stereo delete
Vinyl black-out roof
Switch over to Braille battery setup
Replace SVT oil cooler with air-to-oil arrangement
V-band quick release to switch between street/race exhaust

Registered
where are you going to drill for the cold air intake? got yet the air conditioner?
this is my actual caim

IMG_20210427_170200.jpg

IMG_20200111_160156.jpg

IMG_20200111_160202.jpg

but my dream was (and keep dreaming... because i use the car a bit on road too) to have a round hole in place of one projector the left front light

IMG_20210325_111624.jpg

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My GMK intake exits through a 4鈥 hole between the fuse box and the fender. I have to move the fuse box over a couple of inches, but it places the filter right next to the horn, behind the fog lamp.

Premium Member
Post deleted due to off topic

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Got a tracking number for my new Goodridge stainless brake hoses last night, so those are set to arrive this week. Great news, as I had planned on completing the upgraded brake swap this Saturday - perfect timing.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Merrrr? It's different? Sure its not Auto?
According to Terry Haines and several threads over on FCO, the front mount and cradle were redesigned in late-97/early 98. This car had been retrofitted with a rod-shift Countour box, so apparently they took the whole cradle with it when they did the swap.

Registered
oooooooooooooooooooo this is bensenville's or whatever his name is. old car

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
oooooooooooooooooooo this is bensenville's or whatever his name is. old car
THE ONE AND ONLY.

Now 3.0-equipped with cable-shift and returnless fuel system on 245's.

Should be able to do some limited driving this weekend, maybe shakedown a little. Can't go too far without license plates...

Premium Member
I'm impressed by your commitment to just swap stuff over without changing, "improving", or "updating" a million little things. That's a tough impulse to control sometimes.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I'm impressed by your commitment to just swap stuff over without changing, "improving", or "updating" a million little things. That's a tough impulse to control sometimes.
Well, I don't have a lot left I can upgrade at this stage. The subframe connectors, lightweight wheels and D2 suspension on this car are all distinct upgrades alone over last season's build, plus the weight reduction and balance changes from this being a base model/no sunroof car without a 50-pound urethane lip kit taped onto it. Plus even last year's car is more capable that I am as a driver for now, so I need to catch up a little before undertaking another big change.

I've been eyeing a set of TCE Wilwood front brakes, but that's an expense I'll save for next season; gaining some more stopping power and losing more unsprung weight is always good. Would eventually like to chop up the shock towers and weld in some PRT camber plates, but that's a TON of work.

So there are things... but they are either large financial commitments or large time/labor commitments, neither of which I wish to embark upon at this time.

Reactions: dallarace2
21 - 40 of 64 Posts