New Cougar Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
24,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Also of note - just ran across this article today. This guy competes at our region's events.

He finished 2 seconds faster than I did.

·
Administrator
24,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
EVENT #8! *(well actually 7 because reasons)

Rain in the forecast, we all went in ready for another wet one. Arrived at 8am to a wet track, but fair skies for the moment. As luck would have it, I was scheduled to drive in the second run group, so if the rain held off, there would be an entire heat of drivers going through and splashing out the puddles before it was time for us to drive. Unless it rained some more.

First heat came and went - NO RAIN. The track was now 90% dry, and the sun came out for a VERY MUGGY 85° for the rest of the afternoon.

A healthy 9 entries in XS today, but nearly half of them were novice drivers. Ohio State students moved in recently, and their autocross club was out in force. Many of them had modified their cars to suit themselves, with no idea how it would affect their SCCA classing - much like I did when just starting out. So they weren't driving proper XS cars, nor did they have the seat time. So it was down to 4 of us with any idea what we were getting into...

I went in with no preconceived idea of what kind of times I'd be putting down; I avoided looking at the timing all morning. So I started the day out with a tentative feeler run and turned in an okay 53.373 seconds. I had over-cooked a braking zone and went up in tire smoke, and had to shift down to 1st to get going again, so I knew there was plenty more time on the table. Pete, my closest competitor, DNF'd his first run in his Sentra SpecV, but finished in the 54's, so I at least got a little context.

Second run was a little messy; I over-cooked a slalom and blew through a couple of cones. Pete answered with a 53.1. It was on!

Third run is where it all started to flow. I had identified the glaring trouble spots, and picked up a second and a half - 51.8.

For the 4th and last run of the morning heat, I went a little hard into the first right-hander and laid down a lurid countersteering drift move towards the first slalom, so times wouldn't be better until after lunch break - 52.163. Pete was sitting on a best of 52.6 for the time being.

The afternoon heat would be only 3 runs. I started out by picking up 3 tenths for a 51.508. Pete was still in the 52's. Second run found 4 tenths more, for a 51.189. Hoping against hope that I could break into the 50's, I went all-out at the end, but only picked up a few hundredths, for a final personal best of 51.103. But good enough for first in XS class.

22 out of 81 overall RAW time, 35 PAX.

XS results:
  1. 51.103 - 00 Cougar
  2. 52.163 - 03 Sentra
  3. 53.201 - 17 MX5 RF
  4. 55.170 - 05 G35
  5. 55.602 - 15 FR-S
  6. 56.412 - 03 S2000
  7. 59.217 - 10 Accord
  8. 60.190 - 06 M3
  9. 60.918 - 10 370z
ONE MORE EVENT for the 2020 season, in 2 weeks. This will be the last autocross for the green Roush... more news on that soon.

VIDEO! I cut in a couple of out-takes this time as I'm getting comfortable with the video editing software, so you can see what NOT to do. Also very happy with the sound quality since I finally got the remote microphone setup working. I clipped the mic to the old muffler heat shield under the back bumper, and ran the cord into the hatch and out the top to plug into the camera. Hopefully next time I can sync up with Track Addict and get the performance overlays working. One step at a time...

·
Administrator
24,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Haha,I buried that deep in there to see if anyone actually reads this stuff

Reactions: wadespencer99

·
Administrator
24,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I bought 2, so I have one I won't be using. It has a USB-C connector, and a 5-ft wire. If you can use that, take it.

·
Administrator
24,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah; I like to be able to see my hands/inputs, so I heavily favor the mount position on the rear quarter glass. It's not as exciting to watch, maybe, but it's more helpful to me to see my inputs.

·
Administrator
24,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Some good shots from last weekend -

·
Administrator
24,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
One more, different photohgrapher -

Reactions: mmc757

·
Administrator
24,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
THE FINAL RACE

·
Administrator
24,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
POINTS EVENT #9! Last race of the 2020 season, and last race ever for the green Roush!

Very long course today, and HOT outside. Hard to find grip out there, although this was more of the pushy variety, rather than the fish-taily variety, which sucks. Looks like I need to set my rear toe back to its original spot, with the extra grip in these tires.

9 entries in XS today! Again, not a lot of proper XS cars in the lineup, but we'll take what we can get. I had seen most of these cars already this season except for a couple: a new Civic Type R, which was a scary proposition - and a 2002 Focus ZX3 on some boost. Total unknown quantity.

As it turned out, the driver of the turbo Focus had apparently never been on an autocross course before, and discovered that having a fast street car doesn't mean much in the cones.

The Cougar came out of the gate strong, laying down the gauntlet with a 56.365, putting me squarely in the lead after round 1. The Civic Type R was right on my tail with a 56.7.

I took a rider along with me for the second run, and discovered that the tires were getting WAY too hot, as the car pushed like a maniac all over the course. Lost a few tenths, 56.7. The Civic followed with a 57.5.

For the third run, I sprayed down the fronts with water, dropped the pressures back to baseline, and dialed in a LOT of rear damper. It helped out a lot, as I came back with what would be my fastest run of the day, a 55.331. After seeing this time, I REALLY wanted to get into the 54's, but it wasn't meant to be. Too much understeer kept me waiting too long out of corners to get back on the power, so I finished the day with a 55.6 and a 55.4.

The Civic driver eventually ran a 56.2 personal best, but was bumped into third by a dark horse Porsche Cayman S, who slipped into second place late in the day with a 55.9.

23 out of 104 overall RAW time, 43 PAX. The XS-A PAX multiplier is BRUTAL.

XS results:
  1. 55.331 - 00 Cougar
  2. 55.919 - 14 Cayman S
  3. 56.282 - 17 Civic Type R
  4. 56.760 - 03 Sentra SpecV
  5. 57.868 - 15 FR-S
  6. 59.088 - 17 MX5 RF
  7. 61.285 - 10 370Z
  8. 61.716 - 16 Fiesta ST
  9. 69.582 - 02 Focus
The regional timing and scoring chair is working on getting the final points tally together; we have all new timing and scoring software this year. And although it makes the daily event duties WAY easier, the overall points totals function is still causing problems, so those should be coming along soon so I can confirm my overall win for the class this year. It's been a fun one!

Some video of my fastest run of the day:

I got an adapter for the mic this month that fakes stereo sound with a mono mic, so at least the sound comes out of both sides of your headphones now. Next season I think I want to place the mic on the passenger's side of the car so it isn't so close to the tail pipe. The noise is a little alarming...

·
Administrator
24,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I’ve got a huge new project lined up that I’ll be starting a new thread about in the next few weeks. I’ve got too much blood sweat and money in this powertrain to just let it go now.

The body of the green car will be off to the crusher though, sadly. 18 years and 212,000 HARD miles was a good run.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts