New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
I work at a shop that does a lot of body kits, and we are currently doing a drift kit on BasicDigitals car. You might want to talk with him, as I don't feel comfortable posting pricing info.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It really depends on the shop. Some shops charge a ton for paint but that's cause they gut it and then paint it. But my install was like $2200 but I got the whole car repainted and also got a ton of molding done to my car.

Anyway I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Originally posted by: Archangel7772001
are you serious?
ya he's serious... you'll get great work for $100

Now back to reality - why don't you get serious and do a good chunk of the work yourself and then you only have to pay for paint.

here is a decent how-to

the kit is different but the concept is the same. fill, sand, fill, sand....

I even found a website you can buy the supplies you'll need from : right here

N

·
0 Posts
hahahahhahahahah telling someone to install their own drift kit.... the front and rear I say you should isntall yourself, because It IS fairly easy to unbolt and bolt up fronts and rears.... but the sides ..COME ON ! you have got to be kidding me. A guy that lives in my town tried to install his own drift sides and it turned into total ****.

Archangel: Before you venture into unchartered territory , fiberglassing and installing your own kit, you need to assess some things. How much DO You know about cosmetic work. Do you have friends that can lend a hand that has some knowledge? How much more will it cost to get the installed PROFESSIONALLY by a shop instead of purchasing everything, investing your time, and in the end doing all half assed and turning your kit into crud because some guy said you could do it yourself. Like DanG says, THINK before you mod. If you venture into molding your own kit , you are RISKING a lot. ( Im not yellin at ya either ;) im just kinda passionate about this )

MY recommendation to you is NOT to install the kit yourself (with the exception of maybe the front and rear). Before you do anything you need to test fit yourself. Find a reputable shop and shop around for the best estimates. You will be much more pleased with the result rather than installing the kit yourself.

Every drift side skirt that I have seen has fit differently up on the car and I have seen about 4 sets.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Originally posted by: mcon99
are you serious?

Now back to reality - why don't you get serious and do a good chunk of the work yourself and then you only have to pay for paint.

here is a decent how-to

well not $100. my gf got her entire car painted at earl sheiv for $500, and it came out excellent. don't bash it until you've tried it.

Mike

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
Originally posted by: mcon99
are you serious?

here is a decent how-to

well not $100. my gf got her entire car painted at earl sheiv for $500, and it came out excellent. don't bash it until you've tried it.

Mike

how long ago did she get it painted? has it help up until now?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Look,

and in the end doing all half assed and turning your kit into crud because some guy said you could do it yourself. Like DanG says, THINK before you mod. If you venture into molding your own kit ,
Of course, think before you mod, but don't think you CAN'T DO IT :thumbsup:

Every drift side skirt that I have seen has fit differently up on the car and I have seen about 4 sets.
Which is why you attach the skirt to the side of the car with countersunk screws in order to get it as straight as possible, ignoring any gaps you might have at that point because your going to fill them in with fiberglass and bonder to create a one-piece look.

You will not be able to get this project done in a week like the widebody kit install I linked to, but since it's only skirts it shouldn't take much more than a couple of weeks...

N

·
0 Posts
there ya go, thats a much more helpful and informative response :thumbsup:

and honestly most folks cant go two weeks without their vehicle, however is a shop does the install it will probably be less depending on how they want the kit put on

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
she got it painted in April. So far it's been just like any other paint on a car. We'll see what happens this winter.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts