New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you can just go to autozone and buy a cone filter for an example and put it on our car. Would there be anything else I would have to buy to make it fit? Sorry I don't have any time for search. Thank you

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
That's a bad attitude from a Newbie. You need an MAF adaptor.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ebay intakes are crap. Mafadapter.com has the adapters. Ajusa.com has the cheapest price on K&N's(#ru-3530 is what you want). You will want to make a heatshield for it as well or you will be drawing in all kinds of heat from the engine.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
kodyvan, the sarcasm comes from the fact that you said you had no time
to search... hence, he had no time to answer...
Search for KKM thats a start for an intake...

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Eric, it's ironic because when after i posted i stepped away for like ten minutes, then refreshed when i came back and the n00b was still showing he was there. No time? :biggrin:

Edit - he's getting a GMK... no need to suggest any more intakes. ;)

·
Administrator
24,500 Posts
Originally posted by: Jason43
Ebay intakes are crap. Mafadapter.com has the adapters. Ajusa.com has the cheapest price on K&N's(#ru-3530 is what you want). You will want to make a heatshield for it as well or you will be drawing in all kinds of heat from the engine.
Aaah, a short ram is a short ram is a short ram. :rolleyes: I mean, it's just an aluminum pipe, f'cryinoutloud. Aside from the AEM, which at least LOOKS "engineered", you couldn't tell the difference between a Weapon-R or an Injen or an e-Bay bargain unless they had stickers on 'em.

I use a K&N RU-3580, BTW...

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
my friend bought some hose from home depot and a filter from an auto store...sure it just hung there but it was effective.

Mike

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eric, it's ironic because when after i posted i stepped away for like ten minutes, then refreshed when i came back and the n00b was still showing he was there. No time?

That because I have DSL.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Buy a K&n RU-3530 or RC-4630 or similair sized cone filter...40 bucks will get a very large filter.
You will also need a maf adapter if your using the stock maf...spmotorsports.com sells them, duratecperformance.com,
etc.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Kody, you should spend as much time as possible researching MODs before you do them for your car. That way you don't run out and do something you'll regret later. Like buy Nitrous off some ricer site and realizing you have a returnless fuel system and you bought a dry kit. :banghead: I didn't do this myself but I'm sure it happens. Or worse don't realize how important a window switch is so you don't get one, miss a shift and blow an engine.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
my friend bought some hose from home depot and a filter from an auto store...sure it just hung there but it was effective.

Mike
make sure it isn't pvc pipe as when heated, it lets off fumes that are not too good for the engine.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Originally posted by: jojolmnop

Mike
make sure it isn't pvc pipe as when heated, it lets off fumes that are not too good for the engine.
I really don't know what it was, it was for his accord. He was going to lincoln tech at the time so he was also able to dyno it there and saw that it gave him some gains.

Mike

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Originally posted by: jojolmnop

Mike
What?:confused:

I know people that have used pvc and in instances it's actually been worked better. For example, my friends sunfire. He went out and ordered an intake, forget what brand, but the thing was like 2.5" when he got it. It was just a heavy piece of pipe. So he went out and bought some pvc, besides from being cheaper, it was also lighter and less vulnerable to heat soak.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Originally posted by: Bennett9000
Originally posted by: Jason43
Aaah, a short ram is a short ram is a short ram. :rolleyes: I mean, it's just an aluminum pipe, f'cryinoutloud. Aside from the AEM, which at least LOOKS "engineered", you couldn't tell the difference between a Weapon-R or an Injen or an e-Bay bargain unless they had stickers on 'em.

I use a K&N RU-3580, BTW...
Ive had no problems with my cheap ebay intake. Some people on here had a slight problem on installation, but other than that they have been good.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Easy stuff... go to duratecperformance.com and get the 70/75 mm Maf adapter and the filter to match..... pm if you got questions, cuz i JUST did this (as in it arrived in the mail TODAY :bowdown: )

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
K&N conical (RU-3530)
MAF Adapter (3.5" flange)
Homemade Heatshield

It's as simple as that and nothing is better. This should really be a "sticky" to save getting this question every other day.

'nuff said. :biggrin:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes all the post about not being able to do it, yes you can they dont knwo what there talking about you just have to find out what adapts to it and it will work just as good as any other one

1 - 20 of 20 Posts