New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k so i have been looking into getting an autostart and security system for my 00 mtx, and there are places that do it, they just charge an arm and a leg for it, visions wanted $250 just for the install and witht the pats system i know that you need a bypass, my question is do i need 2 keys to program an autostart bypass...cause i only have 1 with the chip and 1 without, thats all i got when i bought the car.

im not bad at wiring, but ive heard that autostarts are a pita to install.

should i just go with a good 2 way security system and forget the autostart, im in canada and it would be nice to have but its not a necessity.

thx

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
You need 2 keys to program a bypass, or buy the one that wires directly into the wires for the reciever for the pats that intercepts the Code when you key on and it will work for you. Only problem is those are a little on the pricey side, like $125

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that sux I dont really wanna spend 5-600 bucks with install and everything just to make my car start on its own, prolly just end up going with a 2 way viper security system. I found a place with em on clearance $200 installed

·
Registered
263 Posts
You also might need to check into the place you are having it installed from actually installing it into a Manual. Most, if not almost all, of the places that install remote starters will only install them on fuel injected automatic vehicles.

·
Registered
437 Posts
ill be installing one on my cougar this week. ill let u know how bad it is. Im installing the viper 771 2way with security. it might take me a while to do but itll be done whenever i get a chance to do it. if you do it yourself ur gonna have to make sure u bypass the clutch too. dont forget that or its not gonna be working at all. and be careful with it ..u dont wanna be that idiot that left it in gear and forgot about it.

ps. im gonna be hooking it up to a switch to enable and disable the autostart. so if im on a hill and think that keeping it in gear may be a good idea, i dont forget and be that idiot too.

another ps. you really only need one key with the chip for the bypass. then u can use the 2nd key without it as ur daily key

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
ill be installing one on my cougar this week. ill let u know how bad it is. Im installing the viper 771 2way with security. it might take me a while to do but itll be done whenever i get a chance to do it. if you do it yourself ur gonna have to make sure u bypass the clutch too. dont forget that or its not gonna be working at all. and be careful with it ..u dont wanna be that idiot that left it in gear and forgot about it.

ps. im gonna be hooking it up to a switch to enable and disable the autostart. so if im on a hill and think that keeping it in gear may be a good idea, i dont forget and be that idiot too.

another ps. you really only need one key with the chip for the bypass. then u can use the 2nd key without it as ur daily key

happened to me Had a friend who let drive my car I started it with him standing next to me with the keys in his hand. he parked it I started it 4 hours later to come out and find my car on the other side of the lot against another car.

Never again will I let someone drive my car without a few over view about whats it does.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the system i was looking at was compatible with a standard and has a system that engages when the park brake is on and your out of gear, then when you take out the key it stays running until you open and close the door, then it turns off and the autostart works
it just seems like its going to be a really big hassle, my bro got one put in his standard truck, but it doesnt have the pats system. still cost him 500 bucks on sale

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
you get what you pay for... ask the shop if they us scotch locks, or if they solder, if its done correctly (ie all soldered with no scotch locks or other type of qquick connect), with one man, wiring a remote start w/ alarm on a cougar should take 4-5 hours. Reverse rest at ground locking system requires a few extra relays, as well as the pats bypass, plus the parking break sensor, and the transmission sensor... $200 to install is a pretty good [email protected] 4-5 hours he's only getting 40-50 an hour, which for installing a remote start/ alarm is cheap... most shops charge $65/hr+ as they can't just stick any tech on it, it has to be one of their more experienced techs. (assuming they are a good shop they wont just stick any tech on it lol)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a friend of mine who works at a shop intstall my autostart 2 way Starter/Alarm on saturday as well as my complete audio system. He had a hell of a time running the tach/siren/power wires through the firewall.

And we still couldnt get it to actually go into ready mode. We'll be back at it this weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i think ive learned what i need from this thread, thanks for all the info everyone, now im just left to the decision if i wanna spend the extra $300 for the autostart or just go for the viper 2 way security.
THX
ps i dont have much option where i get it installed, only 2 places actually do it in medicine hat. they both do a good job tho. with a warranty on the work

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just so you guys know, there is a bypass now that codes from ONE key so you don't have to shell out $80 at a dealer for a second key just to program a module. The module WIRES in it's not an electric eye and it RETAILS for $50, if anyone needs one let me know, i have them in stock and will ship just about anywhere. And yes it does work for any remote starter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just so you guys know, there is a bypass now that codes from ONE key so you don't have to shell out $80 at a dealer for a second key just to program a module. The module WIRES in it's not an electric eye and it RETAILS for $50, if anyone needs one let me know, i have them in stock and will ship just about anywhere. And yes it does work for any remote starter.
You also have to program both keys for this device. I have on my car and it is a lot better than the second key in box type.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts