New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
5,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been to the Columbus International Autoshow, and had a good time, and it's nothing compared to the one going on in Detroit right now.

I'd like to go... it's open to the public from today (10th) through the 19th. Would anyone else be interested in going? I think the easiest thing to do is drive up on Friday evening, stay overnight, and spend the day Saturday at the show, and drive home that night. But it's only a four hour drive (for me) so it's possible to do it in one day.

Let me know if you'd be interested... I don't know for sure if I will, but I'd love to see some actual concept vehicles in person.

2004 North American International Auto Show

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I've gone to this show for the past 3 years and it is so good - even though Detroit is an awful town, it smells real bad, and the people are jerks. We were talking about going Saturday (the 17th) spending the night and going to the show on Sunday. But we may just leave early Sunday morning or something. It's totally worth the trip up. You see a bunch of cars you don't normally see at regular car shows. Ferrari has a new car out. It's a Spaletti or Spaghetti or something. And I'd really like to see the '05 Mustang seeing as the a$$ end is going back to the Shelby and Fastback style. And I always wet my pants when I walk by the Aston Martins :) But I can see what our plans are.

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
We will be there on Saturday, probably around lunch-time; doing a day-trip. I will have my cell, so if anyone wants to meet up, PM me and I'll get you my number...

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Well, Diane and I have gone back and forth over this for months now but I think we can go as long as we come back the same day. I work friday night so that is out but we could leave here saturday morning and come back that night. 3 hour drive+/- for us I think. Mark and Andy; when do you plan on getting to the show? Also, Andy, what route do you take to get there? We might be able to meet up at some point though I assume you take 75 the whole way? We will be taking the turnpike to 75 (I think). Depending on departure times maybe we could meet up. If not then we can all just meet at the show at such and such a time. I dont want either of us having to screw around for hours trying to find each other on the road. If it works out then great but no big deal.

Maybe dinner and drive back together that night? (well, as far as the turnpike anyway)

Still not possitive and Diane and I have to work some things out but I think we can do it.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Oh- I was thinking Mark was set on going friday; Just to let you know Mark (and Andy too for that matter), you can come here friday if you want and stay- I'm sure Diane would come keep you company. Then we could drive up to Detroit together; maybe even in one car (would save $$$). Lemme know what you guys think.

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
Yep, we could probably meet in Toledo. We'll be leaving at around 8am on Saturday, and taking 23 to 75, and 75 on into Michigan. It takes us about 3 hours tops to make it to Toledo, so we should be rolling thru Toledo at about 11.

If all goes according to plan...

·
5,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That'd be cool. :)

No, I'm not set on either day, or doing one day versus two, I'm flexible that way ;)

Except I might be busy Saturday getting license and stuff for my new second-hand car ::sigh:: Maybe I can work it out so that Mom does the paperwork for me and I just pick it up and pay her for it on Sunday. I'll let you know too.

Anyway, my ( Mapquest || Yahoo ) mapped route had me going up the same route that I took to Cedar Point, hitting the Turnpike there at the 250/Milan Rd. interchange, and then taking the Turnpike west, I assume from that point on the same as Slade's route.

I came down 23 from Detroit after CF2K1, and I think I remember hating it. But it's been so long I don't remember...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Ok, Slade and I will be taking the turnpike to 75 and taking that north. I don't know when we'll be leaving. I know I hate to wake up xtra early on MY Saturday, but we gots no choice. Slade said something about leaving around 10-ish and that could put us there around noon or so. He doesn't get to bed 'til 5am so I gotta work around him. Times aren't set in stone so again, we'll get stuff figured out. I just hate to drive there, do the show, then drive back all in the same day. Maybe I'll try hotel pricing again...

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
I go to Detroit at least twice a year for "work", and I always use 23 to 75. I often travel with a buddy who grew up there, and that's the way he always goes as well. I think it's the most direct way from Columbus.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I went to the Cleveland Autoshow last year. I never went to any others. I would like to go to the Detroit autoshow but I desperatly need to get my brakes done this weekend. Hope you folks have fun.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
From Columbus to Toledo should only take about 2.5hrs. I have made the trip about 50x in the past 4 years. My best time from Newark to Toledo is 2hrs 38minutes and that was with one stop for gas and car wash. :biggrin:

I might try to swing up to the show on wednesday, if anyone wants to go with me let me know.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
It would be more like 12:30 or 1pm if we left here at 10. I think Diane is figuring if we drove 120mph and didnt stop:crazy:

Really though. Its close to 2 hours just to Toledo. Also Diane, you cant tell me you wont have to stop to pee or get coffee or something on the way. ;)

Maybe we can try and leave in time to meet Andy. I can sleep late friday to rest up I suppose. Mark- let me know if you are comming up. Janelle wants to see you I think. She just asked me if you were.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Whatever, MapQuest has it at 172 miles and 2 hours and 46 minutes from my house. All I know is I've driven it in <u>2 hours!!</u> That's with construction through Oregon. If Slade says it's 2.5 hours than that must be the way it is, and I'm just wrong. And I won't be drinking coffee that morning cuz all it does is make me pee.

·
5,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And I won't be drinking coffee that morning
OMG, you ever hear that come out of *my* mouth, then just shoot me right there! A morning without coffee is like a scuba tank without air ;)

I'm calling the insurance company this afternoon, and I'm going up to the dealer after work to schedule my 1K mile overdue 30K mile service... if I can't get it in before Saturday, I'll have to Quik Lube the oil change 'cause there is no way I'm driving my baby any further on that oil... the holidays really kicked my a$$ on scheduled maintenance :( (hmm... I wonder if the new beater is up for that trip...)

Which is the long way of saying I'm not sure if/when I'm going, but I'll let you know when I get it figured out.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Damnit Mark, what are you talking about? What is the deal with
""I think the easiest thing to do is drive up on Friday evening, stay overnight, and spend the day Saturday at the show... ""

and...
""No, I'm not set on either day, or doing one day versus two, I'm flexible that way""

then it turns to...
""Except I might be busy Saturday getting license and stuff for my new second-hand car""

and then...
""Which is the long way of saying I'm not sure if/when I'm going, but I'll let you know when I get it figured out. ""

How are you wanting to spend Saturday at the show if you've got plans all day that day? Then are you saying you're not even going? Does this sound b!tchy cuz it's not, and I didn't mean to come off b!tchy towards Slade in the last post either (still hate you :kiss: ) I don't want to tell you what to do but this show will be way better than getting your license stuff :)

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Does this sound b!tchy
That's a trap it's a trap guys don't answer I've heard this one before.
it's in the same catagory as do I look fat....even the right answer is WRONG
:rofl: BWAHAHAHAHAHA

·
5,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[email protected] it Diane, what are you talking about...
So, I guess this means no Auto Show??
Are you and Slade going, or hanging out w/ Tony, or what?

Allow me to clarify... I do believe the easiest thing is to spend Friday night at a nearby hotel, spend all day at the show, and drive home Saturday night... so it's not 8 hours in the car in one day plus I get to keep my "usual" visit home on Sunday morning. But, I was flexible, and if changing nights or whatever meant there'd be NECO peeps at the show, then I'd change. And I posted that before the opportunity for the "new" beater came up...

However, the second car issues are resolved, it's licensed, insured, and in my garage right now. But I don't trust it enough to drive it to Detroit just yet... so I have to get the oil changed in the Cougar ASAP, so now it's best for me to drive up Saturday morning, and then potentially stay Saturday night before driving back.

So, I assume Andy and his wife are still planning their day trip... what are you and Slade doing?

Was that b!tchy? ;) I didn't mean to sound b!tchy.. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
So basically you're saying your plans aren't fitting with our plans? Seeing as you want to spend the night somewhere and we aren't? I mentioned Tony coming up and didn't get a response regarding the show. I can let you know as soon as I know. I;m just along for the ride so I gotta do whatever is planned.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Right on Mike!!!

Mark, Diane, and Andy can all figure it out. Im out. Just tell me when and where and I'll be there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts