New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my '99 cougar less than a year ago and i already want it to be standard. Is there anyway to change the automatic transmission over? because then i could really play with the car and not just work on the exterior part.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I don't know a lot about engines and drive trains etc....but you should be able to buy a manual transmission, and just have a local shop just swap it out........Not 100% sure but I figured it will work.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
it has been done... it's not easy but it has been done... check out the transmission performance section for more info

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
when you figure in all the parts you will need, expect to drop a couple grand just on parts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seriously? I was gonna do this on my saturn, but decided against it. Sell this car and buy a MTX one. it'll save you SUCH a hassle and it will cost you less than the swap. It is really expensive. You could probably resell your auto tranny for a good 700 dollars, but to buy a mtx tranny would be like 500 CHEAPEST at a junk yard or something. Not only that, but unless you are a car expert, you'll have to hire someone to do it for you. expect to pay 1000 dollars for labor on that. Plus, you'll have to buy all sorts of other parts as well for the swap that'll cost you another 2-300 dollars. not to mention a new ECU.

·
Registered
799 Posts
yeah, i considered doing the swap, but WAY to expensive. So i sold my ATX, got a MTX for $1000 more with half the kilometers that my ATX had!!!

I LOVE my MTX!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should sell the atx and get a mtx but it is kind of a waste. Custom work sucks if u have to end up selling the car anyway. but i guess thats what happens.. right ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts