New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a couple of quick questions. I have a '99 Cougar that has the 4 spd with o\
d transmission. I recently was changing the oil and noticed that there was a crack appearing on the casing around the transmission. My question is would it be more cost-efficient to spend the 2 grand and re-do the entire transmission or pay a certified welding company to pull out the transmission and weld up the crack and place it back in for around $500 bucks. Also i have noticed that there is a considerable nocking noise when the car is put in reverse and i'm wondering if that has something to do if one of the gears isn't catching right when it shifts because it only does this for reverse. If any of you have had this problem and have fixed it i would appreciate the help in repairing this. All help is welcome here and is appreciated. Many Thanks
Gerry

· Premium Member
3,414 Posts
Just a couple of quick questions. I have a '99 Cougar that has the 4 spd with o\
d transmission. I recently was changing the oil and noticed that there was a crack appearing on the casing around the transmission. My question is would it be more cost-efficient to spend the 2 grand and re-do the entire transmission or pay a certified welding company to pull out the transmission and weld up the crack and place it back in for around $500 bucks. Also i have noticed that there is a considerable nocking noise when the car is put in reverse and i'm wondering if that has something to do if one of the gears isn't catching right when it shifts because it only does this for reverse. If any of you have had this problem and have fixed it i would appreciate the help in repairing this. All help is welcome here and is appreciated. Many Thanks
Gerry
http://www.newcougar.org/forums/transmission-performance/117368-all-you-atxers-new-mod.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.