New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone on NECO affiliated with a paint company?

ok! since my other post kinda answered itself seeing as there was no replies :tongue:

let me rephrase it...

For autobody painting... what companies recomended for paints a little more 'custom' than a factory oem color
I know Dupont makes some great custom colors, and obviously House of Kolor does great paints too, but are there any companies?

Muchos gracias :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
i would do house of kolor they are the top of the line when it comes to custom auto finishes, and also this is what im resprayin my car in a few months once i complete all my body work in my spare time

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heh... maaco :tongue:

but seriously... is HoK good? or are you guys just picking it cause monster garage uses it? :rofl:

M

·
0 Posts
house of kolor is good however they are not the best, they are average. i would recommend PPG or Sherwin-Williams (thats what i have on my car) but the PPG paint is not that expensive, but Sherwin Williams is ungodly expensive, but you get what you pay for. the paint i have on my car was $456 a pint and the average car needs 6 pints to paint it. but regular paint is about $25-$50 a gallon. but any of the paints will be better than OEM, above that you get reflection factors and how well it holds up, but more important than paint (which any brand can make any color you want) is clearcoat, since this is what is exposed to the enviroment. PPG all the way, no other compares, PPG is a very durable plasticky type of clearcoat that actually bends when laid down in sheets as opposed to actually hardening into a solid form like other brands. this ability to be bendable means that a lot of rock chips and such will "bounce" for a lack of a better term off before doing a lot of damage

paint = Sherwin Williams (best), PPG DUPONT BASF (better), House of Kolor (ok)

Clearcoat = PPG (no other)

·
Registered
298 Posts
ok im sorry but not to be rude at all but i am talkin from my knowledge of all of these products n i have used all of these types of paints atleast twice before, i have sprayed dupoont n HOK much more,personal prefenerce will vary from painter to painter but i do know this shermin williams is junk!!! and ppg is good but nothing that is real good i mean its has its good points n bad ones but if im not sprayin house of kolor i perfer dupont chromabase tht paint is real good n durable but the paint is only as good as the person doing the work n i have sprayed quite a bit of cars and some misc stuff but i have NEVER heard or used a paint that was between 25-50 a gallon! thats just unheard of i mean i just spent 1 grand jsut on my base/clearcoat from HOK n that was with a big discount and another thing, no car will take less then 4-6QUARTS not pints i just got done sprayin a probe for a buddy after i did all the work on it and that only used a gallon becuase it was same color n didnt have to do tha jambs and whatnot i would recomenned to buy atleast a gallon n a half if u r doing a whole car and jambs n engine bay, n what ever u do, dont mix brands if u r gunna use ppg sherwmin or dupont of HOK use all there products otherwise u could run into problems wit color holdout or certain things not having enough cure time before next product is applied and what not just got with one brand for the entire project -Justin-

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i have House of color Cobalt blue for my flames..awesome

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya Kooter, your car looks great too.
JS, mprtklr & lime - thank you muchly for those replies... i'm learning! heh :)

ok, so one of you says Sherwin is the best, and the other says worse... ok, well i'll just cross that name off my list all together

i HAVE heard of PPG, infact i believe Craig with the copper colored cougar uses or used ppg paints... good stuff - i'll DEFINITELY take your advice and get the clearcoat regardless.

I'm learning towards Dupont at the very moment because i know a dupont paint carrier in the area, but a HoK one isn't too far away, so i am concidering that too now. PPG is also higher on my list now...

ok, so let me refine my question:

Deffinitely going with the ppg clear, but out of Dupont, Hok or PPG which would you all go for? (providing like JS said .. the shop knows exactly what they are doing and sprays it perfectly :) ) price really isn't an issue...

·
Registered
815 Posts
The shop I work for has used PPG, and is now using Sikkens due to problems with the PPG line and the paint reps. I know they both have sprayed every paint listed so far. Both of them speak highly of HoC and Sikkens, and poorly of the rest. Different painters have personal preferences because each paint line sprayes differently. Keep in mind if you buy cheap you get what you pay for, just like anything else. PPG from experience of cars coming into the shop, seems to develope rock chips more easily. It also "settles" more (according to my boss). Some paint companies will not warrenty the paint if different product lines are mix-matched. Find out before you have them spray. I would say money no object go with HoC

PS: Listen to Limegreencougar. I would say he is giving you the best advice here

M

·
0 Posts
4-6QUARTS not pints
sorry your wrong, not trying to be a dick but 4-6 PINTS is all is needed to paint a car that spreads at 1:1 and saying sherwin williams is junk is BS, after MANY YEARS OF PERSONAL EXPERIENCE i can tell you that SW is the best

you can listen to anyone you want, but i ALWAYS USED SW paint, not the HOK or PPG but to each his own.

but since the better brand is not in your list of choices, i can't help you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts