New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
atx, "laughing gas"?

Just wondering who has an atx with nitrous? I was looking into getting a nitrous kit, and wondering how well it would perform with an automatic transmission. I have an AEM short ram intake, gutted percats, and a duel catback exhaust. Who has this same setup, and what are your impressions? Just wondering if it would be worth it. And what other mods (besides bottle warmer, purge valve, ect..) would be a good idea? Such as a chip or what ever would make this "laughing gas" perform better.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Bottle warmer and purge valve aren't necessary, and a waste of money and nitrous on street cars.

As for a chip, I would recommend getting a custom chip made, or a two position switch, that will retard the timing when using nitrous, but will firm up the tranny. Second program would be like a normal superchip, one that advances timing and does the same thing with the tranny.

50-75 shot tops. Make SURE you retard the timing though. Anything more advanced than stock is playing with fire.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
A bottle warmer is a waste on street cars....hmmmmmm

I have to disagree on that. I was to race on a nice 40 deg day, and with my full bottle an no heater I maxed at just shy of 700psi... If I had a heater I would've had the full 900-1000psi I needed. And the same on the track...if you race on a cooler day, you'll want a heater even on a full bottle, and especially if you plan on running again as the bottle looses pressure from use.

You waste more nitrous leaving extra in the bottle in colder weather (especially) without the warmer. You get more from each bottle. Heck on a 100deg day out here at about 50% full, the bottle heater still comes in handy.

Purge kits are a good idea to have if utilized properly, but really are more useful when you are constantly opening and closing the bottle valve.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info guys, keep it comming! I can never have too much info. Who can?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Get a trans cooler on that thing before you ever think of spraying if you want to get any kind of decent life out of the transmission. The radiator can't disperse enough of the trans fluid heat once your engine is warmed up, and if you spray, it only makes matters worse. You'll have a braised transmission lightly sauteéd in its own fluid.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know i need a tranny cooler. But, who manufactures the "best one"? I looked around at all different kinds. IF i decide to go with nitrous, i want the BEST tranny cooler. Any ideas on who makes "the best"?

·
Registered
506 Posts
B&M makes a variety of different ones. The prices really range, but you dont really need to buy the best/most expensive one. Just the universal one would get the job done right, with the right fittings and mounting spot.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Hayden ones work just fine...

There are 2 basic designs of coolers...the tubular design, and the stacked plate design. I've read a few different things on which was better.

Just get a larger one, and and add extra fluid to compensate for the added distance for the fluid to travel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts