New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime next year I would like to do this swap on my cougar and I was wondering if I would have to use the cougar mtx or if it would be possible to use a 6 spd transmission from a celica gt-s or an acura rsx-s. and if it will work how much quicker would this make it than an mtx cougar.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
What's going on Matt...

I'm gonna be as nice as I can in this response...

That being said...

Theoretically you could use any tranny on any car. If you got an adaptor kit to adapt it to bolt to your engine, and then all changes needed to make sure everything is aligned. Then you'll need new motor/trans mounts, possibly fab a new sub frame, and then after you just spent a few grand on nothing, someone tells you to go get the tranny that fits your car.

If you chose to swap transmissions you''ll use a MTX75 off of a Duratec. You can then take that transmission and modify it with all the custom gearing, shafts, synchros (or none), differential, etc etc. This will also cost you thousands upon thousands.

Transmission upgrades are fantastic. Typically you can kill 2 birds with one stone with tranny mods. You can use stronger parts to increase driveline strength, PLUS, you can change the gearing to maximize your engines output top the wheels.

Now, gearing is a wonderful thing to calculate with your engines power curve, and then decrease your times (depending on what type of racing you do) without any power increase. However this is not really the best thing for a street car since it's probably make the car tough to drive anywhere where you are not accelerating hard.

So you get a stock 00+ Mtx75 froma duratec and here are your basic options for it as of now:
-Quaife or Torsen T2 LSD (limited slip differential) <-----this is a must mod
-3.8 or 4.5 final drive gears: There are others available, but these are the main stream.
-Upgraded axles: Not internal part of the tranny, but if you go for a high HP application or choose to run slicks when racing, it is recommended
-Quaife Dog engage gear set: Very pricey, with really close gear ratios
-Sequential Gear box: This is available, but I don't know anyone with it.
-Focus shift tower: If you get an older trans, you'll want to upgrade this part for longevity purposes
-Internal rebuild: If you get an older trans, there may be parts like selector forks, synchros, etc that may need to be changed or upgraded
-Terry haines does some custom Trans boxes to increase strength and efficiency of the trans, but does not effect speed.
-Clutch and lightweight flywheel: Get a performance clutch to match your power outpuit, and a lightweight flywheel for decreased driveline weight.

I guess that about covers it...

So basically, you need a Duratec MTX75, and you can fill it if you so choose. But prepare to spend alot.

Terry haines I believe was working on getting the 6spd from the euro ST220 to fit our cars, but I'll have to recommended you stick with the five speed due to the "economy" gearing ford uses. Remember, more gears is not better. Keeping the shifts to a min, and keeping the RPM in the "sweet spot" of the power band is key in gearing.

Hope that helps...

Oh yeah, and understand those cars you listed are geared for a high revving 4 cyl...not your V6. So even if it did fit, you're car would drag ass.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pgtatx, thanks for taking the time to explain that to me instead of just flaming me for asking that question I think more people on here should start doing this. I understand now that this would not be a good idea and I should stick with the mtx75 tranny if I decide to go for a manual swap. If I find a good shop that can build my atx tranny like people are having done at level 10 would that be as fast as a manual. I really don't want to take my car to the track or anything I just want to be able to beat most cars on the street. (I was beaten by a new eclipse rs 4 cyl. a few days ago on the highway from 40-100)

Z

·
0 Posts
i dont mean to bust your knowledge bubble, i was the first one to successfully complete the swap back in 2001 and it cost me 2300 in parts, 384 in service, and 7 days of labor by myself. its possible if you really want it. im very happy with the swap, no regrets. dont get so damn technical, its not that hard.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Originally posted by: hawk3
a 6 spd transmission from a celica gt-s or an acura rsx-s. and .
why not just take a tranny out of a 18 wheeler then u could have alot of gears

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
pgtatx, thanks for taking the time to explain that to me instead of just flaming me for asking that question I think more people on here should start doing this. I understand now that this would not be a good idea and I should stick with the mtx75 tranny if I decide to go for a manual swap. If I find a good shop that can build my atx tranny like people are having done at level 10 would that be as fast as a manual. I really don't want to take my car to the track or anything I just want to be able to beat most cars on the street. (I was beaten by a new eclipse rs 4 cyl. a few days ago on the highway from 40-100)
It should beat you ... it weighs in about 400 lbs less!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Originally posted by: Zalec
a 6 spd transmission from a celica gt-s or an acura rsx-s. and .
why not just take a tranny out of a 18 wheeler then u could have alot of gears
that would be 18 :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
To add to what pgtatx said...

Terry Haines' ST220 transmissions will cost upwards of $4k, and that's not including shipping or installation. Best bang for your buck, if you insist on swapping, is the mtx-75. You can spend all the time and money dicking around with non-ford transmissions that you want, but it's just not worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts