New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone that has done this is it hard or easy and wat is the process of doin it, and what types of shifter are bein used.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,005 Posts
CATerina has done that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey i looked at FordPartsonline but couldnot find the mtx boot?? do you have a pic of your mtx boot??

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,005 Posts
Originally posted by: bobsmith
01blkcat hey which mtx boot did you get the one w/ armrest or with out
wait...I think we're all talking about 2 different things...

The CONSOLE has the armrest. The console is the same in ALL cougars (with the distinction between 99-00 and 01-02. The boot is just the "leather" bag that covers the shifter. The photos on customcougars.com of the MTX shift boot show a manual boot on an automatic shifter - in fact, I think that's CATerina's car pictured.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: Bennett9000
Originally posted by: bobsmith
01blkcat hey which mtx boot did you get the one w/ armrest or with out
wait...I think we're all talking about 2 different things...

The CONSOLE has the armrest. The console is the same in ALL cougars (with the distinction between 99-00 and 01-02. The boot is just the "leather" bag that covers the shifter. The photos on customcougars.com of the MTX shift boot show a manual boot on an automatic shifter - in fact, I think that's CATerina's car pictured.
Nope, the boot/clip is actually listed under both with armrest and without, for whatever reason...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
How do you know that you are in Drive/Reverse/1/2 etc etc ? (Park is pretty easy i grant you) I have been wanting to do this "mod" for ages, but still want to be able to check what gear I am in.
Dunno about over there, but if the car in front of you puts his reverse lights on, even for a second, panic sets in and you give them a good pap of the horn before they reverse into your car.
On my motorbike I had a Datatool Digi Gear indicator and was thinking of doing something similar (doesn't need to be anywhere as complicated) to provide a little display showing what mode you are in.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Umm.. don't understand your scenario... why would someone in front of you when driving be shifting from park to drive while driving?!?!?!? That's the only time the reverse lights would come on and that shouldn't happen in an automatic. Also, in an automatic, you just put it in drive and go.... nothing needs to happen unless you're going up steep mountain sides in 1st or 2nd gear.

As for how you know what gear you're in, well, if you've driven for a couple years, you kinda get a feel for it on the shifter. I don't even look at the shifter, I just feel it. Besides, if you're really worried, the Cougars shifter locations are in such a way that when you're in park and you push the button to move the shifter, it will go down to DRIVE and stop there I believe. You have to push the button again to go down from there. Also, when in drive, you can just push it up into neutral without pushing the button which gives you a safe feel for it. This is how I drive and I don't ever look at the stupid PRND21 so this mod is safe if you know how to drive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.