New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be taking the ashtry out to make way for a new component and I was hoping for some insight on the easiest way to remove the entire plate from the car. Will I have to take the entire console apart? I have briefly looked at it but I was hoping someone could give me some How-To's and help things go smoother..I don't want to hurt my *****....

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
the ashtray is plastic welded onto the console... you need to physically break the welds with a small screwdriver.... the lighter is plugged into the back

G

·
I have a question that is somewhat related to this one. I have a Rockford amp and it has one of those "remotes" that you use to control the amount of bass going to the sub. My original plan was to stick it in the ash tray, but it is just a tiny bit too big to fit through the opening. I am pretty sure that if you could get it in the opening that it would still be able to function. Is there any way to get this thing in there? Do I need to take off the entire dash to get to it?

Well, just wondering. It would be much easier to reach the remote there than under the dash. Thanks for any help.

Take it easy.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I'm not really sure if I am following the question completely ... but I think that if you removed the ash tray and lighter area and intended on using that as a larger storage compartment your remote or any other items would fall back into the open void that is a hole in your console... you would have to modify it and make your own new back and sides of a compartment and attach it to the back of the console...

and yes.. in order to do that you would have to undo the screws inside your console and the 2 holding the console to the dash part where the ashtray/cig area are... then you could just lift up the console and slide it back so you could work on that area....

G

·
Thanks Crispy. I didn't really describe it all that well, but all in all, you answered the question. The remotes that Rockford gives you are weird. THey are about 2 inches wide by 1 inch tall and are about and 1.5 inches deep. They are hooked up to the amp by a telephone cord. I just thought it would be easy to attach to the ashtray door so that when you open it, the remote is right in the opening of the ash tray.

I will give it a shot one of these days when I am not busy and will try to get some pictures if I am successful. It looks like there is more than enough room, so I should be able to do it. Just wanted to know how much work I would have to go through. Thanks again.

Take it easy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts