New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry for yelling but i found this out (socal member informed me after his crash) after i spend 300+ to shave all the holes!!

if u are thinking of shaving all ur holes and repaint it DONT! go to a dealer and buy a trunk lid...it comes with out the glass and u just swap out ......it cost 60!! and it comes with NO holes ........i could not believe it! i lost alot of money .....

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
does it have sprayer nozle and wiper holes gone too?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
ok no holes mean no holes!!!!

no window wiper HOLE
no 3rd brake light HOLE
no mercury symbol HOLE

sorry still laughing when i heard that a couple weeks ago!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Well I spent $250 to have the emblem holes filled on mine and I think it was well worth it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
How much would it cost to have the glass swapped? Is that a do it yourself job? Does it need to be done professionally at a glass place? Do they come painted already?

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
say it costs 100$ to swap the glass, 60$ for the lid, that's 160$, add sanding, prep and paint and you are about the same price as filling the holes yourself.....

HOWEVER the idea of getting the glass swapped scares me, the glass is put in at the factory using a robot, this is the VERY best way to install the glass, as it goes in perfectly and the sealant is done right, going to a shop, although they can do a fantastic job you are taking a big risk here and well haivng a window not sealed 100% correctly is a problem waiting to wreak havoc....

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
puck..i payed 325 for my wiper hole and 3 emblem holes to get filled....that with out paint!!!

and about having a shop do it....well they do that every day for there job ...they cant just do a ****ty job .....cuz i would have them do it till they get it right

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Even if you got a new hatch, it would cost you a **** load more than $100 to have it prepped, painted, and window installed. Not to mention, they still come with the three holes in the back for the badge. I looked at TWO of them today, unpainted still in boxes, and they had the holes for the badge, rear wiper and nozzle, AND spoiler.

Now, you can order them without the spoiler holes and without the rear wiper hole, and nozzle hole....however.

It RETAILS for $376. F8RZ.634.0110.BA Check it out for yourself.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
The cheapest I found it new was $293 at fordpartsonline.com. You would be better off saving shipping cost and buying it from your local dealer.

G

·
I"m still trying to figure out how a hatch even without glass would only cost $60. It sounds almost like there's a 0 missing in there. It might be true but I remember going to the parts counter at the dealership many times and getting quoted prices like $75 for a hub cap and $60 for brake pads. Just thought it sounded a little fishy.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
RyDWY - do you have a part# for this hatch without holes?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no i dont have a part number.......i was told this at a meeting we just had at a car show.

ill get back to u with more info

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
PuckPuck, there is no part number without the holes. There are three different listings for the trunklid for the 99-02 Cougar. One without the spoiler and washer holes, one with the washer holes but no spoiler, and one with both the washer and spoiler holes. Three and three only, I looked again today.

The CHEAPEST one was $376, retail. The part number is F8RZ.634.0110.BA.

****, I won't go into details....but...

Let's just say that dealership COST is more than three times the amounted being quoted here. The only way to get a trunklid for a Cougar for $60, is if you were to buy a nice socket set and steal one.

Not to mention, I don't understand the logic even if this were true. When you take your car to a body shop to have them cover the holes, they are going to charge you to paint it and to cover the holes. If you bought one brand new you would have to pay to get it prepped and painted...then have the glass and other parts transfered over.

So even if you had a brand new hatch for FREE, it would still cost you more than it would to simply go to a body shop and have them cover your holes for you.

But as I said, the cost is $376, NOT $60 anyway....so it is a moot point. :)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Oh, and in case I forgot to mention it already. Brand new trunk lids come WITH the holes for the rear badge.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i pm'd the guy and he said the body shop ordered it so he didnt have a part number

60 (lid)+100(install)+150(paint) = 310

325(shaved)+150(paint) = 475

now can u please freaking explain how it will come out even??????????????????????????????????/

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Well, for starters I would be very leery of any body shop that wants to charge you 325 to fill a few small holes. ****, you can do that yourself. It sounds strange that to completly paint it only costs 150....yet to do something as simple as filling a few holes runs 325.

And as I said.....there is no way he is getting a NEW lid for 60, unless it is stolen. The Ford COST on them is MUCH higher than that. And as I said before, the new lids come with the three holes for the rear badge. So they would need to be filled in anyway.

Either someone is lying, or mistaken. Because I don't believe a word of this. No offense to you.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
325 was not just for the 3 holes but for the wiper too.....it was kinda high for my taste but my car was already in the street weapons shop geting a kit molded so i went for it.

no offence taking ....im just passing the word. who knows where his dealer got this lid.

owell i was looking forward to buying this when i get a new wing that will take diff holes

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
That is honestly the route I would take, have your stock one done correctly. I have just heard too many stories of body shops claiming to do one thing, but doing a totally different thing. Now, being in the business...I KNOW that it happens....a LOT.

I would not be suprised if a body shop told you what they told you, about getting a new lid. But in all actuality all they did was fill the stock holes and repaint YOUR hatch lid. Not saying that is what this guy is going to do, but it very well could happen.

If it was just the three holes for the badge, then all you would need is some body filler. Spot welding three, 1cm, holes would be a waste of time. Simple body filler would work just fine. Now the wiper hole sould be welded, that is really too large of a hole to bondo....in my opinion.

I asked today about this price, and I was informed that ANY body shop buys their products from the nearest dealer. No auto company will sell direct to anyone else. In Fords case, genuine Ford products will ONLY be sold from Ford, to dealers. Ford does NOT sell to anyone else. Motorcraft parts can be purchaced directly from Motorcraft...if you are a body shop, mechanic, ect ect. But that is typically only alts, plugs, wires, filters, ect ect. No body parts.

So the body shop would pay cost + 10%, typically. At least that is the cheapest they would get it. That would make the lid in the range of 250-280...for the body shop. And of course they mark it up when they bill it out, either to you, or an insurance company. So that would put it around the 300-320 mark.

Now, one thing did come up in my discussion. The "no badge holes" thing was the trigger. If it has no badge holes, then it is NOT a Ford product. That means it is an overseas aftermarket company, producing "OEM style" parts. Meaning it is made for the Cougar...but that does not mean it will fit and function properly. You could have leaks, bad seals, warping. Then again, you could have no problems what so ever....it's really a crap shoot.

Good luck with whatever you decide. But if it was me, I would simply get the stock holes filed and the lid repainted. That way there are no questions, no worries. I mean, even the glass swap might not go perfectly. But if you have the stock holes filled, then you KNOW you will be Ok. And you can still have your stock spoiler holes filled and re-drill new holes, that will not be a problem. I am having that done when I get my hood re-painted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts