New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Buyer Beware
Joined
·
6,590 Posts
the production cougar s was cancelled and never made it into the show rooms.
 

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
Joined
·
15,948 Posts
That's the Cougar S concept car. It was sold at auction for a lot of money. Never had the AWD or 3.0L though, from what I understand.

In any case, there were a couple of the Cougar S pre-production motors floating around on Greenleaf's website, but those are long since gone. They were probably just SVT motors (From the Contour) dropped into the Cougar with different badging.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,072 Posts
from the faq at the top right of the forums...:banghead:


Q: Q: When will the Cougar S be coming out?
A: NEVER! The Cougar S was cancelled and regardless of what you hear elsewhere, the S will never be.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,877 Posts
Originally posted by: NorCalCoug
That's the Cougar S concept car. It was sold at auction for a lot of money. Never had the AWD or 3.0L though, from what I understand.

In any case, there were a couple of the Cougar S pre-production motors floating around on Greenleaf's website, but those are long since gone. They were probably just SVT motors (From the Contour) dropped into the Cougar with different badging.
correct. the s concept was just a stock cougar with a custom bodykit and some fancy-schmancy wheels.
i saw a photo of it's engine bay, and it's just bone stock 2.5L non-svt duratec.

anyone who tells you the concept had AWD is delusional. ford isn't going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars (or more) developing an AWD system for a show car that would never see production.
 

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
Joined
·
15,948 Posts
Originally posted by: NorCalCoug
That's the Cougar S concept car. It was sold at auction for a lot of money. Never had the AWD or 3.0L though, from what I understand.

In any case, there were a couple of the Cougar S pre-production motors floating around on Greenleaf's website, but those are long since gone. They were probably just SVT motors (From the Contour) dropped into the Cougar with different badging.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
yeah like everyone said the cougar S was cancelled, BUT i after reading that article i think they are reffering more a cougar with a version of the sport package the engine sounds a bit more powerful but everything else sound spretty standard as far as a sport trim coug.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
Just so you all know.... several years back a few of us in the Detroit area happend to see at LEAST 2 diffrent cougar "s" cars rolling around with manufacturers plates. They at least had test mules ready because these were done and ready to sell. Only obvious diff was bigger rims "zn" style but that wasnt out yet and dual exhaust. Im quite certain it was going to be the svt contour motor and not much else though. Either way you can blame the media at least partly for never seeing the car. From the time the rumors started the press shreded the idea with phrases like "ford swings and misses with new cougar s" At the third cougarfest I directly asked the mercury brand manager (forgot name) what happend to the s. He denied it existed except the car that was there with the wings west crap on it. I told him about seeing a cougar s rolling down the local freeway. He said it was some kid who got a "s" badge. I then asked him if this kid managed to get manufactures plates. He basically blew me off and my best efforts to pry some sort of info from him was useless. The only thing he seemed interested in was if we would like chrome rims :)
 

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
Joined
·
15,948 Posts
Originally posted by: exigent
Just so you all know.... several years back a few of us in the Detroit area happend to see at LEAST 2 diffrent cougar "s" cars rolling around with manufacturers plates. They at least had test mules ready because these were done and ready to sell. Only obvious diff was bigger rims "zn" style but that wasnt out yet and dual exhaust. Im quite certain it was going to be the svt contour motor and not much else though. Either way you can blame the media at least partly for never seeing the car. From the time the rumors started the press shreded the idea with phrases like "ford swings and misses with new cougar s" At the third cougarfest I directly asked the mercury brand manager (forgot name) what happend to the s. He denied it existed except the car that was there with the wings west crap on it. I told him about seeing a cougar s rolling down the local freeway. He said it was some kid who got a "s" badge. I then asked him if this kid managed to get manufactures plates. He basically blew me off and my best efforts to pry some sort of info from him was useless. The only thing he seemed interested in was if we would like chrome rims :)
I'm sure that's how 3 Cougar S "High Output" motors got onto Greenleaf's website back in the day. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
796 Posts
Originally posted by: ov3n
anyone who tells you the concept had AWD is delusional. ford isn't going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars (or more) developing an AWD system for a show car that would never see production.
Unless the R&D in developing the AWD system for the cougar S went to the Jaguar X-type.

-Nick
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
31,347 Posts
Originally posted by: slockin
Originally posted by: ov3n
anyone who tells you the concept had AWD is delusional. ford isn't going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars (or more) developing an AWD system for a show car that would never see production.
Unless the R&D in developing the AWD system for the cougar S went to the Jaguar X-type.

-Nick
Which would make PERFECT sense since the cars are on two completely different platforms :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,945 Posts
How do you figure? I thought they were on the same one? Regardless, Its a FWD-mounted 3.0L V6, it just has an AWD transaxle. Makes perfect sense to me, as a cost-cutting issue.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
31,347 Posts
Originally posted by: azbobbybooshay10
How do you figure? I thought they were on the same one? Regardless, Its a FWD-mounted 3.0L V6, it just has an AWD transaxle. Makes perfect sense to me, as a cost-cutting issue.
The Cougar is on the first gen Mondeo platform. The Jag is on the second gen Mondeo platform. They are not the same.
THAT is how I figure.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top