New Cougar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

are cougars accel slow?????

4K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  wadespencer99 
#1 ·
I wanted to no if its normal for a 99 cougars acceleration is very slow when you step on the pedal????.And even if i easy on it its goes a little faster but still very slow...........and if yes its normal how could i make it faster????.........how can i compet with other racers????

#2 ·
My gut reaction tells me IMRC's may be malfunctioning. Do a search on "IMRC" and you will find a MASSIVE CARGO SHIP LOAD of threads on this, since its such a common thing with these cars. But we need a little more info to pinpoint the problem though.

#10 ·
take the car to a local shop in your area and have them check the fuel pressure, depending on the bulid date of your car it could have the faulty fuel pump. Other than that nothing short of a 3L swap, HMS tranny, and some serious boost, is going to get you what you are looking for. As far as how to make it fast try searching the forums for info, there are plenty of how-to's and tons of Cougar guru's here willing to answer questions. Be sure to do the reasearch FIRST. Good Luck.

#4 ·
Try some curves. It isn't a drag car, it's a road car.

Mod the suspension. You can't compete in a straight line.

#5 ·
The correct answers are: "Compared to what?", "Yes", "You don't notice it when you're attacking curves." :)

#6 ·
I'm with Bobby on possible IMRC problems, and with B3NN3TT on the twisty roads. I find that when you aren't looking at a straight road, you have PLENTY of power, as in, you aren't very starved for power when accelerating out of a turn into the next turn. Also, if you have an auto (I can't remember) then it does matter how you give it gas. If you think you are running as fast as possible and it is shifting at 5k then you are not running at full throttle.

#7 ·
I agreee with these guys, but what are you compairing the acceleration to? or what would you ballpark the 0-60? With the IMCR you will feel a kick at about 3800RPm if im not mistaking. These cars love the corners and arn't terrible on a streight line, but they definatily shine in the corners.

#9 ·
how much 38000RPM is, it should say on your tachometer, (right beside your speedometer) and do a search like the others said about IMRC, you can open it up and see if the little gears are moving when you rev the engine.

I think its like a 30hp loss if your IMCR isn't working..

#11 ·
Hi I'm rather new here but I wanted to share something on shifting. Not sure where I saw it but something about rough shifting. I'm not new to manual transmissions (had a 4 speed 75 mustang and a 4 speed 76 capri) but I am new to 99 mtx cougars. I've had it for about a month now and just playing around I've found smoother shifting if I go 1-3-5 or 2-4 I'm wondering if anyone else has found that true too. Just my 2 cents...

Andy

#13 ·
Different cables control the shifting into those 2 sets. One may have some sort of problem. Or maybe theres just something blocking you from shifting down. Ive seen a problem like that tracked down to dirt or just a pen fallen in past the shift boot.

#15 ·
I do that usually when I'm coming home late at night, just to keep the noise level down and not piss off the neighborhood (unlike some Honda that lives a couple street over, I swear he thinks he HAS to hit VTEC up each street). Most of the time I shift into 2nd at around 2000 rpms, then shift into 4th from there. Keeps the RPM's around 1500 and the noise down.

#18 ·
according to the manual, it shifts out of 1st gear at like 14 MPH. So that's a huge speedbump in acceleration from 0. I found that if you hold the RPMs kinda high like 2000 RPM it gets to shifting right much quicker and you can be on your way A LOT faster.

EDIT: unless yours is a manual, I didn't ask lol

#24 ·
well I just prefer not to have to shift 2 seconds after putting it in gear. 5th gear is too long and 1st gear is too short. I just think some improvements could have been made there

I'm always pushing unless I'm in top gear, so I guess I'll notice it a lot more than people who go easy on the accelerator, but it's still annoying.

#25 ·
I didn't read every page but when I first got my cougar I was like "wow, this isn't very fast" but you know, it has some serious air problems out of the factory. I put in a high flow K&N Filter and it added some noticeable zip to it. Then the same day I got full synthetic oil in it and wow did that make a difference at high RPMs! I didn't like stopwatch time it but I had someone watch their second hand and it's about a full second faster on 0-60. And since those upgrades are crazy cheap, I'd recommend them.

#27 ·
The only reason you would have any gain AT ALL from a K&N drop-in filter is if your old filter was filthy and needing to be changed. Same with the oil, and that would have to be quite nasty to see any sort of "gain".

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.