New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've posted similar problems before, but I couldn't get a definite answer, thus it was really confusin for me.
My problem agin is, I lowered my car with the Apex lowerin springs for 1.7 inch drop. And after bout 1 year, my factory shocks are worm out and Im experiencin some bad "dives", "extremely bumpy ride", "possible damages to the chasis and struts"....all sorts of problem...you name it...my question is...how do I improve it? I want a after market struts that will be best compatible with my Apex, I don't want to have to replace them every 6 months....anyone with the similar drop and have any "good" long lastin struts on?? I know there is the ST200? or the Tokico....and others, but which one is the most compatible with a 1.7 inch drop? and which will last longer

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
i would say the koni struts would last the longest

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
personally i didnt drop my car that low due to rear camber issues (and i wanted a body kit), but that you did, i would go with the koni's their a good name. tokico is a good name too, but i don't think they make a strut for our cars yet? been awhile since i checked though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thnx boys, I think I might go with Koni's....you guys think I should bring my car up with Eibach springs? is only a 1.25 inch drop, maybe that would ease the Koni struts? once it is on? or should I keep the Apex? 1.7 drop? cuz my main concern is that I don't want to change my struts again in like 5 months....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lower = more stress. I would personaly go with your eibach idea. Do you have a problem with tire wear because of the camver issue?
Peace

Zero

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would go with the eibachs, they look good without looking ricey, and you can keep your exisiting struts. also regarding the camber thing, the rear on cougars dont have a camber adjustment and as you lower it, you increase the negative camber (the tire sticking out from the bottom) this will cause heavy premature wearing of the tires.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
we don't have camber adjusters on either fronts or rears....

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
And to elaborate, the toe is all you can adjust, even the caster is fixed.

I haven't had the Konis long enough to tell you they last forever, but the main reason I got them is because a lot of Contour guys (who auto-x regularly) say Konis handle the abuse better than just about anything.

mprtklr - If low = white grain, you may call me Uncle Ben.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
can i be minute rice

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i shouldnt be one to talk about lowered
i have 3.5 inch clearance, i didnt mean necessarily low, i meant the wheels bent in and boucing and crap like that. On the front we dont have camber adjustments either, but its ok because as the tire suspension sits lower, it will lower straight down, the rear uses cross beams to support the strut and as you go lower it forces the bottom out, whereas in the front, the lower control arm is consistant with the strut.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.