New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be rebuilding a used transmission this winter/spring and I was wondering if anyone else here has rebuilt their own. Specifically, I want to know if I can get away without having to buy a Transmission Holding Fixture. Not that I don't mind new tools, but the fixture is another $170 and I don't see myself rebuilding transmissions for a living, so no need other than this once.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
I wouldn't think you would "have to have" that. Even though I have not rebuilt my own, although I would like too, the shops I have been in just used a basic bench.

Good luck in your rebuild. Will it be a CD4E? If so, it could be invalueable to everyone else if you could take pics along the way. Not a how-to mind you, just pics of the steps.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by: unisys12
I wouldn't think you would "have to have" that. Even though I have not rebuilt my own, although I would like too, the shops I have been in just used a basic bench.

Good luck in your rebuild. Will it be a CD4E? If so, it could be invalueable to everyone else if you could take pics along the way. Not a how-to mind you, just pics of the steps.
Yes, it will be complete rebuild of a spare CD4E that I have. I have everything that wears inside the tranny, a shift kit and a filter ... it will be getting the works. I will eventually be doing a 3.0L/2.5L SVT Hybrid with an ATX ... this will be the first step. I will definitely be documenting everything during the process.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
:cool: I know that Russell, over at CEG, as done a 3L Hybrid. Of course you probably know that. :goofy:

I do know that he is very pleased with his valve body rebuild that he got and the higher stall speed TC of around 3500 RPM.

Anyway, glad to see that someone is able to take advantage of a good situation. :beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,510 Posts
Hey Trevor, just curious - what's the reason that you're gonna use an ATX with your hybrid?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,817 Posts
Just use a bench, all of the techs at work simply do overhauls on a flat bench....with a drain. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
815 Posts
Like Fett said, a drain is very handy. I have re-built several autos (no CD4Es though) and every time I have been supprized at the amount of fluid left in the trans after it was "drained". The stand does make it handy, but is in no way neccecary. The only thing you really need is basic hand tools and something to compress the apply pistons to remove the clutch packs. You can also make this tool very easily with a little welding.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by: Mtang4life
Like Fett said, a drain is very handy. I have re-built several autos (no CD4Es though) and every time I have been supprized at the amount of fluid left in the trans after it was "drained". The stand does make it handy, but is in no way neccecary. The only thing you really need is basic hand tools and something to compress the apply pistons to remove the clutch packs. You can also make this tool very easily with a little welding.
I have the Rotunda tool set for the CD4E ... nothing to worry about tool wise :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Exigent rebuilt my cd4e. give him a pm and he'll be able to tell you how its done.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by: Lepak91
Exigent rebuilt my cd4e. give him a pm and he'll be able to tell you how its done.
David has been a great help up to this point ... without him, I wouldn't have been able to get the correct parts & tools. However, this is the one thing that I didn't ask him about ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,470 Posts
Just use a bench, all of the techs at work simply do overhauls on a flat bench....with a drain.
Yeah I agree my Dad and I built a bench on casters and just rolled it over to the truck.
Then I lifted the tranny and and transfer case onto the bench and worked
on them from there. Just wheeled the bench into the garage when I was calling
it a night.

Altough I should've just used my Cherry Picker to lift the tranny and transfercase
instead of pulling my arms out of the socket:rolleyes:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by: gyger
Just use a bench, all of the techs at work simply do overhauls on a flat bench....with a drain.
Yeah I agree my Dad and I built a bench on casters and just rolled it over to the truck.
Then I lifted the tranny and and transfer case onto the bench and worked
on them from there. Just wheeled the bench into the garage when I was calling
it a night.

Altough I should've just used my Cherry Picker to lift the tranny and transfercase
instead of pulling my arms out of the socket:rolleyes:
The tranny is currently sitting on a 2'x2' dolly that I made with 4 heavy duty casters, but it only sits about 6" off the ground. Time to go to home depot to see about getting a shallow SS metal sink so that I can rebuild the dolly around it. Yeah, I can finally use those gift cards I got for Christmas :)
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Originally posted by: unisys12
:cool: I know that Russell, over at CEG, as done a 3L Hybrid. Of course you probably know that. :goofy:

I do know that he is very pleased with his valve body rebuild that he got and the higher stall speed TC of around 3500 RPM.

Anyway, glad to see that someone is able to take advantage of a good situation. :beer:


i accually post on here a little too :)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top