New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone donet his? instead of buying the fitted aluminum to go over them?

Just curious how well it turned out.. I wast hinking it'd look the same as the head lights.... But im kina worried about painting around the bubble :p

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Theres a guy in my town who has a silver frost coug, he put playboy bunnies over the tails so it covered part of the reverse and brake and painted them to match and then removed the stickers,it looks pretty sweet, I think a cougar head would look better but he is going for a complete different look with his car. I tried getting pictures but my camera was dead.

Chad

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol. As cool as that seems it hink i'd feel a tiny bit gay having a play boy bunny on my tail lights :p

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I didn't paint my tails, but I did get them nightshaded and clearcoated which is different but pretty much a similar process. I don't think you have to worry about bubbling too much as long as you take the time to clean and sand properly before painting. Do multiple thin coats instead of a couple of thick coats would help too.

Or, take it to a bodyshop to get it done professionally like I have :)

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Painted Tailights

Advantages:
able to still use key without a problem to open trunk
doesn't have the look of a tack on piece
cheaper than buying the covers

Disadvantages:
not reversable
takes a while to actually tape off the area you don't want painted and have it look right

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Originally posted by: PuckPuck
Painted Tailights

Advantages:
able to still use key without a problem to open trunk
doesn't have the look of a tack on piece
cheaper than buying the covers

Disadvantages:
not reversable
takes a while to actually tape off the area you don't want painted and have it look right

I have no problem opening my trunk with the key with the covers on :shrug:

P

·
0 Posts
I painted mine.

I didn't like the idea of the covers looking like they were stuck on.

Z

·
0 Posts
anybody has pix of theirs with the fitted aluminum covers??

just curious, since I'm kinda reluctant to do anything irreversible to my cougar, plus my tail light is a little cracked :flushed:

thanx :)

amy ^_~

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
same prolem here...some a$$hole swung his door into my rear end and craked my bumper and busted the corner off my tail light....i bit of clear silicone to patch up the hole, some buffing to remove the red paint and some very expensive covers to cover the hole...unless you are standing behind my car with the hatch open you cant really tell that they are covers...you especially cant see the difference through the smoke when you are behind me...hehehe..

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
One very minor thing I noticed about painting the taillights rather then putting the covers on them is, if you notice the taillights dip down just a little bit from the back quarter panel....the taillight covers make it a smooth transition....I know this is a VERY little thing to notice, but its just something I have noticed :shrug:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts