New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Rockford Fosgate power 550 amp, and 2 JL Audio W0 subs. When I hit the gas real hard my battery warning light comes on. Do I need to get a capacitor, or just upgrade my battery and alternator?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Your alternator is either going bad, or you need to do the alternator mod. You shouldn't need a cap for only that one amp - but it wouldn't hurt to have one if your lights dim when the bass hits. Do a search on alternators to find your solution. There is a wire that you extend directly to the battery - and it will fix your problem if your alternator is still good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I did a search for the solution to the alternator problem on this board and yahoo, but I could not find anything. Is an aftermarket alternator available that can handle my amplifier without needing any modification done to it?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
it is not so much a mod but rather a solution...the wires hooked to your alt will kinda short out and cause the alt to work too hard and burn out fast..bypassing a certian wire configuartion will solve this problem..try to msg rastaman..he has gone through 4 alts i believe...he can tell you where to look for the fix..but like zex said you should find it if you do a search in the forums..anyway best of luck...ps i would get a cap too cant hurt..unless it isnt wired right..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.