New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in on the group buy last year when synergy got the deal on the KVR cross drilled rotors and carbon fiber pads I'm finally ready to put them in either tommorow or Friday..........anyway I remember reading somewhere about breaking in the rotors getting up to 60mph and braking hard to heat them up then driving for a while to cool them and doing it again................I think this is so they wont warp??? I cant remember ,any help would be appreciated.

G

·
Ive never herd of that.. Just make sure you get break cleaner and spray the hell out of the rotors... You will have loss in the pressure for you'r break pedel. You will have to drive it around for a wile doing a stop and go thing and slight powerbreaking. It only takes 30 to 40 mins to chang the pads and rotors.. The rotors should come right off.. We have floating rotors.. (I do but some sat they have pressed rotors and need to "pound" them off) I have changed mine twich and done my friends cougar. email me if you have any questions

[email protected]

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Rotors are wicked easy to change, after putting the car on jacks, it should take no more than 30 mins to change them. The wheels hold the rotors on, once you remove the wheel and caliper (two bolts), the rotor should just pull right off. There is a small retainer clip on one of the studs, but that is just there to hold the rotor in place while you put teh wheel back on. You can pull that clip off and throw it away, you don't need it. The only time you would need to pound the rotor off is if it is rusted to the hub. A few bangs from a rubber mallet should do the trick.

Brake pressure will go down only because you press the calipers back in place. Once you have everything back together, two presses of the brake pedal should return the pressure to normal...car running of course.

As far as brake in period, just don't stomp on the brakes for the first hundred miles or so, other than that nothing needs to be done.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could have sworn that somone posted a procedure of heating the rotors and then letting them cool when you first put them on so they wont warp .........in fact there are instructions in the boxws with the rotors that tell you to do this! I thought somone had a better way to do it.

anyway my mechanic did the 4 rotors and pads for $200........I dont have the space or the tools to do the job myself.

the rear brake sensors were broken and one of the front ones was also.............Im going to pick them up at the dealer

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just for future references (my search engine friendly 2 cents)

I got my front KVR cross-drilled rotors installed (178mm, gold cad platted with carbon fibre break pads ... $520 (CAN) Tx & Shp included)
%100 same as These
There was a note with the package on how to "braking in" or "rotor seasoning / pad bedding" your product.

"
Drive up to 30mph
Brake normally to 5mph
Repeat 5 or 6 times
Let rotors cool down at ambient temperature for one hour
"

For what it's worth. I think this is the way to go for normal street / highway driving.
If you have a more aggressive driving style, I would go with the Baer link up there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.