New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried 2 pioneers and 1 kenwood already. I'm hardly impressed by their reliability. The pioneers did seem to have better sound quality but crapped out so early. I'm looking for a headunit that might last more than a year. With my experiences i will not go with pioneer or kenwood again. Any other brands besides the one's i've mentioned that you guys think are reliable.

Now I know many of you have reliable pioneer and kenwood. I'm not going to say anything bad about them. I'm just looking for something else. Maybe i should just try sticking with the factory units from now on? Anyway, any information on this would be extremely appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Eclipse is very nice... Maybe not as flashy as some of the others out there, but they sound fantastic and come from the factory with a 3 year warranty. Alpine is also pretty reliable. I am currently using a Panasonic and I love it, but I have to admit that the sound quality is not as good as some of my previous decks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool stuff. Like i said earlier, Kenwood and pioneer has some really good quality products. I just haven't had any luck with them. I did luckly have a 2 yr warranty on my Kenwood so its in the process of getting fixed. Just looking ahead incase this one goes sometime in the near future. Keep the comments coming. I have heard alot of good things about panasonic, sony, eclipse and especially Alpine. Maybe I should have looked into those.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
What were the series #'s of the pioneer decks? Ive always had pioneer and install many into other vehicles- not a single complaint, but they are usually no less than a 6500 series.
But if I had to choose other- then Alpine makes a nice headunit.

·
Registered
517 Posts
get a factory single CD player from the mercury dealer. it will be far more reliable than most aftermarket. with the right set up it can even sound better than aftermarket headunits as well.
josh

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: since it was 4:30 in the morning when he wrote that i guess we cant hold it against him...but damb funny...how can an 8 watt rms/ ch sound anything close to a 23 or 25 rms/per channel deck with infinate adjustability...not to mention the factoryunits have no preouts..but back on topic...

must agree with the majority ///ALPINE would be the best for functionality, sound and reliability...clarion are really high up the list IMO as well...currently i have a panasonic and i have no complaints yet..

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:still laughing about that factory thing.....:rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Alpine must ship all there crappy decks to Iowa. In the 5 years that I have lived here I have had 4 different Alpine decks. All but the one I currently have have crapped out on me. I bought the 3 year extended warranty on the second unit and keep getting an upgraded unit cause they don't make my model by the time it gives out.

Seems they only last about a year or two and then they fizzle out. I wouldn't keep geting them if I didn't get them replaced under the extended warranty.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I've had Pioneer headunits in three different vehicles for the past six or seven years, and have NEVER had a problem. It's all about installation to begin with - good harnesses and being installed right can make a big difference. Using clean, unscratched discs never hurt anything, either.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Originally posted by: 1badcat
get a factory single CD player from the mercury dealer. it will be far more reliable than most aftermarket. with the right set up it can even sound better than aftermarket headunits as well.
josh
hehehe.... I think you would have better sound quality with one of these:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
hehe those babies pound...just installed one in my LADA...:rofl: not to mention you can get all the classics.. :rofl:

:loser: <---not you zex..heheh...no offense to anyone..:rofl:

P.S. I DON"T REALLY OWN A LADA

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I have a panasonic that is going on 4 years old and I have not had a single problem.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Originally posted by: crazyoldcougar
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: since it was 4:30 in the morning when he wrote that i guess we cant hold it against him...but damb funny...how can an 8 watt rms/ ch sound anything close to a 23 or 25 rms/per channel deck with infinate adjustability...not to mention the factoryunits have no preouts..but back on topic...

must agree with the majority ///ALPINE would be the best for functionality, sound and reliability...clarion are really high up the list IMO as well...currently i have a panasonic and i have no complaints yet..

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:still laughing about that factory thing.....:rofl::rofl:
easy, you don't wire the speakers to the headunit, you use an aftermarket amp. The topic here is about reliable head units not RMS ratings. Since there are no preouts, just use the stock speaker wiring for the signal and there you go :)

Mike

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
ive always used the sonys. my current one is great sony mdx800. the only problem with them is that the cold weather can sometime effect the display and the way they flip can get them scratched from the mounting kit. also u must be careful you dont crack the l.e.d.s in the unit. if your a good user you should have no problem.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.