New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I recently found out that there apparently are some stock diffs used in the Euro trannies that have "Hardened" spider gears. This makes them a bit stronger, but they are still open diffs.

Well I have a differential out of my Euro trans, this one was equipped with a B1 gear set, and came right from Ford.

I was told there is little to no visual differences in the differentials, so I figured I'd post pics anyway, and see if anyone can tell.

Here's the pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I don't even think the engineers of the diff could tell which one it was by looking at it. What does Terry say?

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know...haven't asked him.

It looks all pretty to me, since it's unused...

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Stock, if memory serves. That's an open differential.

The LSD has a second set of "clutches" and is surrounded by a "beefier" casing to contain the whole thing. I remember that my original diff. looked open like that, whereas the LSD was an almost solid unit.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Originally posted by: DanG
Stock, if memory serves. That's an open differential.

The LSD has a second set of "clutches" and is surrounded by a "beefier" casing to contain the whole thing. I remember that my original diff. looked open like that, whereas the LSD was an almost solid unit.
Yeah no doubt that is a open unit (he know's that already) the question of if its hardened or not seems impossible to tell from looking at it. I know take a BFH and whack a stock one, then whack this one and whatever one breaks the least is hardend one! :tongue:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts